jameslcobb

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 21, 2014
Elizabeth City, NC
Hi all,
This year we purchased a home with an inground pool. Last year I maintained our above ground pool using the TFP method with great success. When I opened this pool, there was green algae and CYA over 100. I reduced the CYA to 80 and performed a slam. As the year has progressed, I notice I am adding one to two gallons of 8.25% or 10% chlorine every day in the inground pool and two gallons per week in the above ground pool I am still maintaining at our now rental property. looking back, I believe I never properly completed the initial slam.

After hurricane Hermine, the liner developed a huge air bubble which I walked out the steps and then worked the liner back in place best we could. After that, yellow algae began to grow on the walls so I started another slam. I had gotten the CYA down to 60 before the storm and it was at 40 after the storm. I have been slamming now for over a week and the water is clear with 1 ppm CC. I still have a black dusting when I brush.

I have been maintaining my chlorine at 7 to 10 all year. During my last slam I have kept the chlorine between 10 and 30. Mostly 30 at night drifting down to 10 by the time I get home. I lost two ppm last night going from 12 to 10. I had let the chlorine drift down yesterday thinking I was done.

last readings
FC 19
CC 1
PH 7.2
CYA 40
TA 70

I guess I will continue to slam at high levels as around 30 seems to be the only thing that will dent this stuff.

Looking for any added help...

Thanks,
Jim

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here. :)

Sounds like you've learned a lot about the SLAM. Maintain FC so it stays above 16 throughout the SLAM. Daily brushing is helpful, along with finding algae hiding places.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.