Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae

Hi all,
    This year we purchased a home with an inground pool. Last year I maintained our above ground pool using the TFP method with great success. When I opened this pool, there was green algae and CYA over 100. I reduced the CYA to 80 and performed a slam. As the year has progressed, I notice I am adding one to two gallons of 8.25% or 10% chlorine every day in the inground pool and two gallons per week in the above ground pool I am still maintaining at our now rental property. looking back, I believe I never properly completed the initial slam.

After hurricane Hermine, the liner developed a huge air bubble which I walked out the steps and then worked the liner back in place best we could. After that, yellow algae began to grow on the walls so I started another slam. I had gotten the CYA down to 60 before the storm and it was at 40 after the storm. I have been slamming now for over a week and the water is clear with 1 ppm CC. I still have a black dusting when I brush.

I have been maintaining my chlorine at 7 to 10 all year. During my last slam I have kept the chlorine between 10 and 30. Mostly 30 at night drifting down to 10 by the time I get home. I lost two ppm last night going from 12 to 10. I had let the chlorine drift down yesterday thinking I was done.

last readings
    FC 19
    CC 1
    PH 7.2
    CYA 40
    TA 70

I guess I will continue to slam at high levels as around 30 seems to be the only thing that will dent this stuff.

Looking for any added help...

Thanks,
    Jim
    20' X 40' 36,000 gallon vinyl in-ground pool
    Pentair sand filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TFT 100 test kit
    installed 09/1984

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algae

Welcome to TFP! Good to have you here.

Sounds like you've learned a lot about the SLAM. Maintain FC so it stays above 16 throughout the SLAM. Daily brushing is helpful, along with finding algae hiding places.
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Algae

Updated results from this evening.
    FC 15
    CC 1

Added 4 gallons of 8.25% and brushed

20' X 40' 36,000 gallon vinyl in-ground pool
    Pentair sand filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TFT 100 test kit
    installed 09/1984