Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Used test kit for the 1st time, Help!

1. Back To Top    #1

Used test kit for the 1st time, Help!

Hello there,

I posted a thread a week or so ago about my green pool and all the money I've been literally dumping into it thanks to the pool store, and have gotten no results. I ordered the recommended test kit (the big package, forgive me - I forget the name), and I just used it for the first time. Here are my results:

FC= 31 (Is that even possible!?! Yes, I used 62 drops of 0871 til it was clear!)
    TC= 32
    CYA= I didn't even get anywhere close to the 100 line! (It was 128 two weeks ago at the pool store)
    calcium= 500ppm
    TA= 150
    pH= 7.5, maybe a tad higher

The pool is cloudy green and has been for most of the summer. I've used all kinds of chemicals and brushed the floor and walls countless times. I have no clue what to do next!

Thanks in advance!

24' above ground with vinyl liner, 15,000gal sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: used test kit for the 1st time, Help!

Time to drain the pool

3. Back To Top    #3

First thing to do is to make sure you get as accurate a CYA reading as you can (we don't trust the pool store number on this one). Go back and read the extended directions and get a good solid number (you can pour solution back and forth a couple times.) Once you get that number, than SLAM your pool according to the chlorine/CYA chart. For example, if your CYA is 90 your SLAM level for chlorine would be 35, so you're close.

How are you chlorinating your pool?

Ahh, I misunderstood. If you CYA is off the charts high and you dilute the sample with tap water 50% and divide the result in half. And, yes, if it over 100 you'll need to at least do partial pool drain.
    15,000 gallon free form Viking fiberglass pool. Hayward Star-Clear Plus C12002 cartridge filter. Hayward Swim Pure Plus T-15 SWG. Testing with TF-100 Kit. 2 speed 1.5HP Supreme pump. Dolphin Nautilus robotic cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Jaime:

Welcome to TFP! You have come to the right place. Please see below:

FC= 31 (Is that even possible!?! Yes, I used 62 drops of 0871 til it was clear!) TC= 32

Yes, it is possible. So you can save on reagents until you clear your pool up, use a 5 ml. sample of water and multiply by 1. Same procedure. You have a high chlorine reading, but please test for CC (combined chlorine). Follow the instructions and you will be fine. Hopefully you ordered the speed stir.

CYA= I didn't even get anywhere close to the 100 line! (It was 128 two weeks ago at the pool store)

Do this test over again, but take 50% tap water and 50% pool water (use 2 equal bottles and mix together well for a few seconds) and take the sample from there. Then test CYA and multiply by 2.

calcium= 500ppm

Seems high. What State are you in?

TA= 150

With a TA of 150, you may have rising PH issues. We will take care of this a little later.

pH= 7.5, maybe a tad higher

Your PH is fine for now, but you will have to lower it once the SLAM is started.
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Frog Mineralizer System (EMPTY) - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Pool Company tests water (NO LONGER) TF-100 TEST KIT
    Date of Build is 11-2013

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you.
    I did buy a speed stirrer.
    I live in central PA and refill with well water.
    I just rechecked CYA with 50% tap water... I cannot see the dot past the 90 line, so CYA 180!?
    I'm already in the process of draining some pool water.
    Oh, and I had issues with high pH all summer long. I ranged from 7.9-8.3 and dumped over 40 lb of the pool stores recommended lo n so over the summer!

Oh, how much water should I drain?

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Can you please add your signature:

Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Frog Mineralizer System (EMPTY) - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Pool Company tests water (NO LONGER) TF-100 TEST KIT
    Date of Build is 11-2013

7. Back To Top    #7

Re: Used test kit for the 1st time, Help!

Apologies...
    15,000 gal AG, Hayward Pro Series top mount sand filter, Power-Flo LX pump, July 2014 install, TF-100 w/ speed stir, well fill

8. Back To Top    #8
    TFP Guide

Drain at least half, fill, then retest the CYA.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me) Goldline SWG Intermec 104 TImer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

9. Back To Top    #9

Make sure the water is well mixed before you test.

You are learning about your pool. You have a good test kit AND TFP. Your pool and wallet will feel much better now!

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Draining half is a good start. In PA, you may want to aim even lower, like 40-50 CYA. You need to leave at least a foot of old water in the pool to keep the floor of the liner from shifting.

Take a look at the link below to famiarize yourself with PoolMath. It will be a handy tool for you in the future.
    Pool School - PoolMath

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks again. I did play around with the pool math a bit. It's telling me to empty 78% of my water. Yikes, I was hoping not to empty that much, but I'll do what I have to do. We have a well, so I'll probably end up having to have water brought in.
    So... wait till it's filled to test everything again and then start treating right?
    15,000 gal AG, Hayward Pro Series top mount sand filter, Power-Flo LX pump, July 2014 install, TF-100 w/ speed stir, well fill

12. Back To Top    #12
    TFP Guide

Correct! I suggested 50% just as a place to start but you might have to do it again. With the 70+% it should be only the once.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me) Goldline SWG Intermec 104 TImer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

13. Back To Top    #13

I see you added well fill to your signature. Is your well water high in iron?

14. Back To Top    #14

I know you guys don't usually go by Pool Store test results. I had my water tested at a pool store about 2 weeks ago and my iron level there was 0.2.

- - - Updated - - -

I drained my pool last night and only left about a foot or a little more of water in it. I'm ready to get to the root of my problem and I guess pretty much start over in order to do so.