Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do I need to close an inground pool in central florida?

1. Back To Top    #1

Post Do I need to close an inground pool in central florida?

Hello all,
    I'm new to pools and this forum but I can already sense I'm in the right place. I'm currently getting ahead of an algae issue due to high CYA and too many tablets in the past.

Should I close my pool for the mild Tampa area winter? Pool is screened in and could definitely use some rain water to drain at no charge and reduce my CYA.

What are the real reasons for "closing". I just moved to the Tampa area so I don't really know what to expect from the winter. Below is a screenshot of what wikipedia has to say

In the winter, average temperatures range from the low to mid 70s F (2124 C) during the day to the low to mid 50s F (1013 C) at night. However, sustained colder air pushes into the area on several occasions every winter, dropping the highs and lows to 15 F (8 C) or more below the seasonal averages for several days at a time. The temperature can fall below freezing an average of 2 to 3 times per year, though this does not occur every season
    Tampa, FL 16,000 gallons, concrete in ground screened pool, Sta-Rite 70sqft cartridge filter, Marathon 3/4 Pump, city water. I test with Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do I need to close an inground pool in central florida?

I would not think you need to close as outdoor pool in FL let alone an indoor one.

Just maintain adequate FC for your CYA level. And if the temp drops below freezing at night, run the pump.

This is what I do as the climate is fairly similar with a few nights dropping below freezing.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you jblizzle!
    Just for clarity with inside you meant screened in, right?
    Tampa, FL 16,000 gallons, concrete in ground screened pool, Sta-Rite 70sqft cartridge filter, Marathon 3/4 Pump, city water. I test with Taylor K-2006

4. Back To Top    #4

Sorry I misread your title and thought you said indoor pool.
    A screened in pool would be basically treated the same as an outdoor pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

That's what I thought...thanks.

What are the main reasons for closing a pool? Debris/freeze? I understand some are antithetical while others might cause serious issues.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Freezing (hard) temps are far and away the primary reason.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Just a quick note: I don't close mine. Don't even cover it. Just put a mesh tarp over it until the leaves stop then remove it for the winter. Adjust pump to run mostly at night. I'm in north-central Georgia.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

8. Back To Top    #8

You definitely do not need to close it. There is no way enough ice would ever form to break your pipes.

If it gets cold enough in Central Florida to freeze pool lines they will be the least of our issues
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you all!