Hello Everyone!

Jul 7, 2016
Springfield IL
I stumbled across this forum while researching pool light replacement. Thanks in advance for helping a pool-newbie figure something out. I've attached a couple pictures of my existing, non-functioning lights. They're not LED. They change colors every time I flip the wall switch in the house that controls them, and if I flip it off/on quickly they change colors in synch with each other.

I'm hoping to replace them with LED lights, but I'd like to retain the ability to control them with the same switch and retain the color changing functionality.

• How do I ensure I get lights that fit and match my system?
  • Will they be "plug-and-play"? Stay in synch with each other?
  • One of the lights (pictured) is partially full of water. It's one that my pool guy replaced (at great cost). Does this indicate I have a larger issue than replacement bulbs, and need to do something with the bulb housing in the concrete wall?

Again, thanks for welcoming me into the forum and thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Dave

pool lights 1.jpgpool lights 2.jpg

Well, there should not be any water in that housing for one! It's quite possible he replaced the bulb without changing the seal. Those need to be replaced every time you open the housing - get this. As for your other questions, I'm afraid I'm out of my depth (ha!)

Hi Dave and welcome to TFP! :wave: While I don't have that particular light in my pool, I could suggest giving Inyopools.com a call and tell them TFP sent you. :) They have an extensive library and may be able to cross-reference that light for you. Give you some tips as well. Hope that helps. Nice to have you with us.

Well, there should not be any water in that housing for one! It's quite possible he replaced the bulb without changing the seal. Those need to be replaced every time you open the housing - get this. As for your other questions, I'm afraid I'm out of my depth (ha!)

So, am I to assume I shouldn't remove the light unless I get the water level of the pool below it? I didn't see any gasket, and don't see how it would keep water out unless the water level was below it during installation.

The gasket is between the glass lens and the housing you have pictured. The light niche in the wall will always contain water as it was not designed to keep water out. I replaced my gasket and bulb to find out that my housing was leaking where the wire connects.

You don't need to drain the water. See How To: Replace A Swimming Pool or Spa Light - YouTube for an example of what this entails.

Awesome video, thanks. Should the fact that my light has water in it make me concerned that maybe the housing it's in has a problem? Or is it safe to assume the pool contractor who replaced it last time didn't get the gasket on right (or did something wrong)? I'd love to just talk to the Inyopools.com guys, order the right bulb and swap them out.

You can test the seal by placing it in a bucket of water after you have it all back together and see if it gets water in it. Thats what I did before I installed as I assumed it was just a bad seal. Thats how I found out it was leaking from the wire. I would do this test before installing it and chancing it getting the bulb wet and damaging it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.