Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is pH?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Fairfield Twp, OH

What is pH?

I pose this question in jest. In conversation with a self-proclaimed pool guy co-worker, he let a doozy slip. Apparently the muriatic acid he uses raises his pH and the MA that I bought must be something different for having lowered my pH. You all know this guy, all he does to keep his pool crystal clear all the time when his neighbors all have swamps is pour a gallon of acid in at the start of the season, use trichlor pucks in the skimmer and shock the pool every week or two. So easy! He supposed convinced one of his neighbors, who spent $1200 this year at the pool store, to pay him $1000 to take care of his pool next year. I mean, why not? His water is crystal clear and he make sure to bring his pH up with MA.

Oh yeah, he said he replaced all of his water except a couple inches at the start of the season because he didn't mind the cover over the winter and it pushed all his pool water out.

Huh? pH raising MA? I asked if he knew what pH was, he didn't care for that questioning!
    26k Gal IG vinyl, Hayward Super 1HP, Hayward Pro Series S244T Sand Filter, TFTestkits TF-100 w/ Speedstir
    Links: TFPC for Beginners / ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry / GETTING STARTED / PoolMath / SLAM / TFTestkits / Chlorine/CYA Chart

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: What is pH?

With the subject of pools, it sure seems very easy to encounter self proclaimed experts
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Columbus, Ohio

OK you got me, LOL! Here I was coming in to help a fellow pool owner and you go and throw this at me!

Some people know everything
    Aqua Leader Elegance AGP 15'x30'x 54", 12k gallons, vinyl J-hook liner ... Hayward / SwimPro Voyager pump SW159412STL, 2hp, 2spd, Voyager 175sf element filter SW175MDDVPAKS ... Liquid Chlorine... Baracuda 1500 vac, Installed August 2016 - all above came with our "premium package ....CYA/Chlorine Chart... Basic Care Schedule...Extended-Test-Kit-Directions...Pool Closing Info

4. Back To Top    #4

I think sometimes the saying "ignorance is bliss" really holds truth to it's meaning!!!
    Chris B.

New house w/ 28 y/o I.G. 15k gal. pool/spa, Plaster, Hayward DE-480S Micro Clear Filter, Pentair Whisperflo wfe-4, 1HP (Main Pump), Hayward SP2815x20 (Pump for spa jets), Versa Pool Heater, Hayward Pool Vac Ultra, TF-100 Kit