New to pool, forum and everything

Sep 18, 2016
Tampa, FL
Hello,
I purchased a pool with a house in the Tampa area 4 weeks ago.

I've been doing a good bit of searching to come prepared to the task at hand, which is maintain my pool with no professional intervention. Unfortunately I came across this forum a couple of weeks too late.

Previous owner has been using packs for a while I believe and I thought it would be ok to continue. Testing my water regularly I was pleased with my chlorine levels (always around 4-5ppm). (All the other chemistry in check). Unfortunately I realized late that a CYA of 100 is not cool, even in Florida :) So last week I got algae.

I might have Clorox written all over my pool now but following the suggestions on this forum I think I got the upper hand...

Thank you all for your help and professionalism

Thanks YippeeSkippy. Yes I'm equipped with Taylor K-2006. When I feel lazy and need to run to the local pool store (Pinch a penny) I also get them to test my water. I noticed they use the professional version of the test kit and their results converged with mine, so I assume they're reliable.

I don't understand that line of reasoning. If I do the FAS-DPD test and pH that is a minute, max. The whole test, including CYA, takes 5 minutes, maybe.

A round trip to the pool store for questionable testing would take a bare minimum of 10 minutes. 3-4 times a week and I've spent more time going to the pool store than the grocery store that week.

The fact you thought you had a CYA of 100 just hammers it home. Not trying to be rude, just :scratch:

Thanks. Well I needed to buy chlorine because of algae problem (due to high CYA I assume)...and yes...I cracked and bought algae killer (shame on me :))

Speaking of which, now that I introduced 4 caps full of sodium bromide anything in particular I should be in the lookout for?

Huh?! Why would you put bromide in a chlorine pool? Pools are either one or the other sanitation system, and once bromide is in the water the only way to get it out is to drain it. Bromide pools are not particularly easy to care for from what I've read.

I just don't understand. :drown:

Well, from what I know (and that's not saying a lot) it will increase your chlorine demand. Possibly a lot.

Bromine pools will always be bromine pools until the water is changed, because when you add chlorine that re-charges the bromide again.

It's all a little too sci-fi for me at this point but I'll see what information I can find for you....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That sums it up pretty well.

From this article, How do I use Bromine in my spa (or pool)?

With sodium bromide in the water the first x amount of chlorine you add will be used up oxidizing the bromide ions into hypobromous acid which will read as bromine on your chlorine test. So, you will never really know how much chlorine is in the pool because some of it will be bromine.

Ok, I've done some Googling and from what I gather since you added a bromine algaecide in smaller quantities you *might* get away with it if you don't add ANY more of that yellowtrine, and you'll probably need a LOT more chlorine for a while. It might burn off over time with sun exposure.

How long? Who knows?? Be prepared to need more chlorine though...

Keep me posted?

Yip :flower:

Don't panic. Sunlight can eventually convert bromine into permanently inactive bromates. How long does this take? It's hard to tell because every pool is different. Just stick with liquid chlorine now and keep a close eye on things.

I did this many eons ago and I had a totally bromine pool, not just 4 capsfuls of something. You should be okay.

Great guys! Thank you all so very much! I feel relieved. I'm puzzled how lightly these products are sold in stores without informing about the consequences.
On the bright side, should bromine work as a sanitizer too? Not that I want to go in that direction but it should still contribute to the overall effort?

- - - Updated - - -

I hear ya! :)
Oh, and no need to go to pool $tore for chlorine when you can get it at the grocery or big box store. No chance of getting something you don't need for your pool.