Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to pool, forum and everything

1. Back To Top    #1

New to pool, forum and everything

Hello,
    I purchased a pool with a house in the Tampa area 4 weeks ago.

I've been doing a good bit of searching to come prepared to the task at hand, which is maintain my pool with no professional intervention. Unfortunately I came across this forum a couple of weeks too late.

Previous owner has been using packs for a while I believe and I thought it would be ok to continue. Testing my water regularly I was pleased with my chlorine levels (always around 4-5ppm). (All the other chemistry in check). Unfortunately I realized late that a CYA of 100 is not cool, even in Florida So last week I got algae.

I might have Clorox written all over my pool now but following the suggestions on this forum I think I got the upper hand...

Thank you all for your help and professionalism
    Tampa, FL 16,000 gallons, concrete in ground screened pool, Sta-Rite 70sqft cartridge filter, Marathon 3/4 Pump, city water. I test with Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to pool, forum and everything

Welcome to TFP, Colon001 Its not too late to take charge of your pool and water!

First off- have you read our recommendations on proper pool testing yet?
    Pool School - Test Kits Compared
    Maddie 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks YippeeSkippy. Yes I'm equipped with Taylor K-2006. When I feel lazy and need to run to the local pool store (Pinch a penny) I also get them to test my water. I noticed they use the professional version of the test kit and their results converged with mine, so I assume they're reliable.
    Tampa, FL 16,000 gallons, concrete in ground screened pool, Sta-Rite 70sqft cartridge filter, Marathon 3/4 Pump, city water. I test with Taylor K-2006

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I don't understand that line of reasoning. If I do the FAS-DPD test and pH that is a minute, max. The whole test, including CYA, takes 5 minutes, maybe.

A round trip to the pool store for questionable testing would take a bare minimum of 10 minutes. 3-4 times a week and I've spent more time going to the pool store than the grocery store that week.

The fact you thought you had a CYA of 100 just hammers it home. Not trying to be rude, just
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

5. Back To Top    #5

I meant that if I have to go to the store I also bring the water along...

What do you mean with:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
    The fact you thought you had a CYA of 100 just hammers it home. Not trying to be rude, just

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by colon001 View Post
    I meant that if I have to go to the store I also bring the water along...

What do you mean with:
    I'm sorry, I misread your post about CYA.

I'm curious what you go to the pool store for? I haven't been to one in a VERY long time
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks. Well I needed to buy chlorine because of algae problem (due to high CYA I assume)...and yes...I cracked and bought algae killer (shame on me )

Speaking of which, now that I introduced 4 caps full of sodium bromide anything in particular I should be in the lookout for?

8. Back To Top    #8

Huh?! Why would you put bromide in a chlorine pool? Pools are either one or the other sanitation system, and once bromide is in the water the only way to get it out is to drain it. Bromide pools are not particularly easy to care for from what I've read.

I just don't understand.
    Maddie 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

9. Back To Top    #9

It was the main ingredient in an algaecide that was recommended (yellowtrine)...
    I now understand a bit more about the mistake.

What would be the implications now?

10. Back To Top    #10

Well, from what I know (and that's not saying a lot) it will increase your chlorine demand. Possibly a lot.

Bromine pools will always be bromine pools until the water is changed, because when you add chlorine that re-charges the bromide again.

It's all a little too sci-fi for me at this point but I'll see what information I can find for you....

11. Back To Top    #11

That sums it up pretty well.

From this article, How do I use Bromine in my spa (or pool)?

With sodium bromide in the water the first x amount of chlorine you add will be used up oxidizing the bromide ions into hypobromous acid which will read as bromine on your chlorine test. So, you will never really know how much chlorine is in the pool because some of it will be bromine.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

Ok, I've done some Googling and from what I gather since you added a bromine algaecide in smaller quantities you *might* get away with it if you don't add ANY more of that yellowtrine, and you'll probably need a LOT more chlorine for a while. It might burn off over time with sun exposure.

How long? Who knows?? Be prepared to need more chlorine though...

Keep me posted?

Yip

13. Back To Top    #13

Don't panic. Sunlight can eventually convert bromine into permanently inactive bromates. How long does this take? It's hard to tell because every pool is different. Just stick with liquid chlorine now and keep a close eye on things.

I did this many eons ago and I had a totally bromine pool, not just 4 capsfuls of something. You should be okay.

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

Oh, and no need to go to pool $tore for chlorine when you can get it at the grocery or big box store. No chance of getting something you don't need for your pool.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

15. Back To Top    #15

Great guys! Thank you all so very much! I feel relieved. I'm puzzled how lightly these products are sold in stores without informing about the consequences.
    On the bright side, should bromine work as a sanitizer too? Not that I want to go in that direction but it should still contribute to the overall effort?

- - - Updated - - -

I hear ya!
    Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    Oh, and no need to go to pool $tore for chlorine when you can get it at the grocery or big box store. No chance of getting something you don't need for your pool.

16. Back To Top    #16

Yes, the bromine will contribute to the sanitizer effort.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

17. Back To Top    #17

Thank you pooldv!