Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Drop Out - flocculant

1. Back To Top    #1

Marietta, Ga

Drop Out - flocculant

My neighbors and I follow the TFP
    method of closing our in ground pools. The 2 long time pool owners swear to adding a flocculant named Drop Off after you finish adding the Poly 60. Both testify how when they open in spring, they remove their cover. vacuum the bottom of the pool to remove settled algae and degraded containment
    to waste, shock with bleach, run the pump for 24 hours, test and balance and open in less than 2 days! My question is, "ANY" downside to adding a flocculant when closing? Thank You!
    20K, IG, new Merlin vinyl liner, sand, Triton Tr-60, Eco-Pump EP-6, 1.5hp, Taylor TF-100
    Test kit, Compupool CPSC 24 SWG, city water, built in 1979.

2. Back To Top    #2
    TFP Guide
    Greenville, SC

Re: Drop Out - flocculant

If it is not needed (99% of the time) it is a waste of money. Some flocculents drop pH a lot, so you'd have the headache of raising pH again.

Most of us simply run our pools as normal until the temps drop into the 50s. I have never added polyquat or anything special to mine to close.

Here was this spring What did you do to your pool today? - Page 72
    35K gallon Krystle Krete (Plaster) - Sand Filter - TF100
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide
    'burbs of Augusta, Georgia

Re: Drop Out - flocculant

Any floc that gets into the filter risks gumming it up. Clarifiers and Flocculants just aren't something we recommend as necessary and can cause you more grief than they claim to fix. Why risk it?
    12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub. Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain
    CLICK HERE to Become a Supporter