Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 2-speed motor options, which is best?

1. Back To Top    #1

2-speed motor options, which is best?

I noticed my 1HP 1.25SF WhisperFlo (WR-24) pump started leaking a few weeks back. I wasn't too concerned about the water loss and was hoping to rebuild this winter after pool is closed, but now it has gotten quite loud so I think the water has gotten to the motor. After looking into what it takes to rebuild the pump and bearings I started looking at prices and decided based on how cheap these motors are I might as well just replace it. But while I'm doing that it is a perfect time to upgrade to 2-speed.

My current motor specs:
    CAT B2853 FR P56Y HP 1 SF 1.25 Volts 230/115 (connected as 230).

From what I've learned here I just need a total HP of 1.25. Anyway, I thought I was done deciding things but found out there are still more choices than I would expect.

The first motor I found using inyopools website was this one:
    UQS1102R A.O. Smith 1 H.P Square Flange Dual Speed Up Rate Motor - UQS1102R - INYOPools.com
    But it says it is in stock it also says "No Longer Available. Replaced by SQS1072R" searching SQS1072R is also "No Longer Available" and is not in stock.

That got me thinking there might be something better/newer I was missing. So I search some more and found this one. It is $37 more though, is it worth it?
    B2980 A.O. Smith Motor, Sq Fl E-plus,full,2 Speed 230v 3/4 Hp (b2980) - INYOPools.com
    Then I noticed the slightly bigger motor is much cheaper for some reason:
    B2982 A.O. Smith 1 HP Energy Efficient Dual Spd. Motor - Full Rate (B982, B2982) - INYOPools.com
    Can I run a full-rate motor with my up-rated pump? Are there any real drawbacks to doing that? Is there an up-rated 1HP 2-speed energy efficient option I am missing?

Finally the 2 speeds don't come with a switch, but I wouldn't want it on the motor itself anyway. I'd like to run some extra wires through the conduit to get near where the on-off switch or timer lives and add one there, any gotchas there?

Thanks!
    20,000gal in-ground 16x36 sentry pools vinyl liner, Pentair sand filter, Pentair minimax NT heater, auto-cover, Polaris 280 cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 2-speed motor options, which is best?

The B2980 is the correct total hp for a swap. The B2982 is 1.65 thp, so you'd have to change impellers to use it. I wired mine by running wires through the conduit to a 3-way switch to change speeds. It's really cramped in that little motor wiring compartment.

30K gallon IG vinyl. 1.5HP 2-speed Waterway Mustang pump. 600 lb sand filter. Polaris 280. Circupool SI-60+. TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

After doing some more math the UQS1102R doesn't make sense, at almost double the power for low speed, the $37 would pay for itself in just 3 years even at my usage. I believe I could have gotten away with the B2982 without changing impellers. My understanding is oversized motor is OK, undersized is not, but I think there is an efficiency penalty for doing that, so that would not be ideal either. I ended up solving my problem of paying more for the smaller motor by doing some more searching around. I found the B2980 for about the price listed for the B2982 from a supplier closer to me (hopefully that means faster shipping).
    20,000gal in-ground 16x36 sentry pools vinyl liner, Pentair sand filter, Pentair minimax NT heater, auto-cover, Polaris 280 cleaner.

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes, an over sized motor is fine, under sized is not.

However, you really can't judge the motor's power usage by the motor label rated amps. That is only relevant when the motor is at full load which almost never happens in a pump motor especially at low speed.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater