Staining/Scale Issues Help Needed

Sep 9, 2016
Debary/FL
My wife and I recently purchased a home with a "pond" in the backyard which was once a pool. It sat full of rain water for almost two years until we recently pumped it out with a sump pump, hosed the walls and added the proper chemicals to get it back to being a pool. However, after several months of shocking and keeping the water at the proper levels we are still noticing staining on the walls and what I'm assuming is scale. Before I go jumping into metal cleaners and stain removers I thought I would check on here to see if anyone could better help identify what the staining may be and any possible solutions there are to help get the pool looking better. The dark spots on the wall did have some sliminess over it and I've kept the chlorine at shock level until the FC no longer dropped overnight. I've also brushed the walls at least once a day. The stains however have seemed to stop dissipating any further. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_5170.jpgIMG_5328.jpgIMG_5333.jpgIMG_5367.jpgIMG_5369.jpg

Welcome to TFP!

That looks like algae and slimy indicates that it is algae also. To check for scale you can put dry acid in a sock and rub it on the stain to see if it will dissolve it. You can rub a trichlor puck on it to see if it is an organic stain.

More about scale here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling

Thanks. I've purchased a steel brush and have been working on the "slimy" areas. Now those are gone and the dark black spots as well. However, a majority of the staining on the bottom and the calcium deposits on the wall are all still there. I'm planning on addin a multi stain remover and some scale remover to see if this works. If it doesn't does anyone else have any suggestions such as acid washing or something less abrasive to try?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.