Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Staining/Scale Issues Help Needed

1. Back To Top    #1

Staining/Scale Issues Help Needed

My wife and I recently purchased a home with a "pond" in the backyard which was once a pool. It sat full of rain water for almost two years until we recently pumped it out with a sump pump, hosed the walls and added the proper chemicals to get it back to being a pool. However, after several months of shocking and keeping the water at the proper levels we are still noticing staining on the walls and what I'm assuming is scale. Before I go jumping into metal cleaners and stain removers I thought I would check on here to see if anyone could better help identify what the staining may be and any possible solutions there are to help get the pool looking better. The dark spots on the wall did have some sliminess over it and I've kept the chlorine at shock level until the FC no longer dropped overnight. I've also brushed the walls at least once a day. The stains however have seemed to stop dissipating any further. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_5170.jpgIMG_5328.jpgIMG_5333.jpgIMG_5367.jpgIMG_5369.jpg
    11,000 Gallon Concrete Pool
    Pentair Motor/Pump
    Pentair Cartridge Filter
    Taylor K-2006 Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Staining/Scale Issues Help Needed

Sorry forgot to post pool test numbers...

FC- 4.8
    CYA- 40
    TA - 120
    CH - 180
    PH - 7.5
    CC - <.5
    11,000 Gallon Concrete Pool
    Pentair Motor/Pump
    Pentair Cartridge Filter
    Taylor K-2006 Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

That looks like algae and slimy indicates that it is algae also. To check for scale you can put dry acid in a sock and rub it on the stain to see if it will dissolve it. You can rub a trichlor puck on it to see if it is an organic stain.

More about scale here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks. I've purchased a steel brush and have been working on the "slimy" areas. Now those are gone and the dark black spots as well. However, a majority of the staining on the bottom and the calcium deposits on the wall are all still there. I'm planning on addin a multi stain remover and some scale remover to see if this works. If it doesn't does anyone else have any suggestions such as acid washing or something less abrasive to try?

5. Back To Top    #5

You can lower your CSI to -0.8 to -0.9 and brush as often as you can stand to. It is a fairly slow process. More details in the link I posted in my last post.

The next option is a no drain acid bath, The Zero Alkalinity Acid Treatment

Then the last resort is a an acid wash.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach