Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Motor won't start on Pentair SuperFlo - Two Speed

1. Back To Top    #1

Motor won't start on Pentair SuperFlo - Two Speed

About a week ago I have noticed that my pump's motor stopped working. I searched for the problem online, and found this post (Help. Motor just hums... won't start). It will start if I hit on it for a while.

This past weekend, I opened the switch panel on the back to see if anything was out of place, or to see if I could notice anything wrong, and I could not.

One thing I noticed though is that it is getting harder and harder for it to start (yesterday I spent about 5 minutes hitting it on the side to get it to start), so for now I am just leaving it on 24hrs on the lower speed. Also, I noticed starting the past 2/3 days, that It is making a ratling noise when it starts, almost like something is loose inside.

I only went to the extend of removing the switch panel, and 3 of the 4 long screws in an attempt to open up the rear portion but I gave up on opening it to gather more info.

I took a few pictures (https://goo.gl/photos/n9EEepUEDQE5oniAA) - the black stuff on the connectors (back of the speed switch) is just dirt. Base on this, does anyone have any ideas where to go from here?

Thanks!
    30'x15' (3"-6")(15K+ Gallons); Hayward C1200 Star-Clear Plus 120-Square-Foot; Pentair SuperFlo - Two Speed - 1 HP - Barracuda G3

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Motor won't start on Pentair SuperFlo - Two Speed

If it is noise once you get it running, it could be bad bearings.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks @mas985.

The noise happens only when it starts, then it goes away. However, as far as "getting it started" do you have any idea what it could be? A friend of mine said it could be the "centrifugal switch". The pump is only about 2 years old. I'm going to try to take it apart this coming weekend.

Thanks!
    30'x15' (3"-6")(15K+ Gallons); Hayward C1200 Star-Clear Plus 120-Square-Foot; Pentair SuperFlo - Two Speed - 1 HP - Barracuda G3

4. Back To Top    #4

(yesterday I spent about 5 minutes hitting it on the side to get it to start)
    This is what makes me think it is the bearings.

But it doesn't hurt to check the switch. Sometimes the contacts get corroded.

If you spin the motor shaft by hand, is it smooth or a lot of resistance.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5
    TFP Guide

In the Industry

I would definitely test the run capacitor, when they bulge like that they are usually bad

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks guys. I will open it up this weekend and will report back. Thanks!