Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Water Wand Cartridge Cleaner - anyone use this?

1. Back To Top    #1

Water Wand Cartridge Cleaner - anyone use this?

I've been looking at this new product that's supposed to help you clean your filters. I've found it on several pool supply sites. At Leslie's it's called a Water Wand Cartridge Cleaner and runs $21.99.

I'd like to know if anyone else has used this and whether it really works or not. I have 4 filter cartridges to clean and it takes me a long time and a lot of water to get them really clean so if this really works it would be worth it to me.

Thanks,

Patricia
    17,000 gal IGP, White plaster, Hayward Swimclear Cartridge Filter system, Sta-Rite Max-e-pro 1/2 hp pump; 3/4 hp booster pump

Sacramento, CA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water Wand Cartridge Cleaner - anyone use this?

Patricia,

I think Waterbear's tried this or something like it, and ended up going back to just a regular old brass nozzle. If I can find a thread that mentions it, I'll edit and post it.

Edit: Here 'tis. as you can see, he mentions the water wand but still thinks the brass nozzle works best.

How to clean a cartridge filter
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

3. Back To Top    #3

I just recently noticed this device. the reviews on this website are mixed, but if it works well, it would be nice.
    http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Accessori ... r-Cleaner/
    16x32 21,000 gallon in-ground exposed aggregate, 1.5hp pump, 120 sqft catridge filter, birdcage, solar panels, aquavac tigershark qc robot.

4. Back To Top    #4

The water wand works but no better than a $4 brass nozzle (non ajustable, short, small bore). Your choice!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the input. I am always skeptical about new gadgets but cleaning 4 carts at once is a big job - takes me a couple hours minimum because we get so much debris in our pool and the small stuff gets stuck in carts.

I've tried using the panty-hose over the skimmer trick but ended up with the skimmer plugged up so many times due to the sheer amount of debris that I stopped using it. Didn't want to risk burning out the motor for the sake of making cleaning the carts easier. I can't run out to check the skimmer every hour around the clock which is what's required at times.

Patricia
    17,000 gal IGP, White plaster, Hayward Swimclear Cartridge Filter system, Sta-Rite Max-e-pro 1/2 hp pump; 3/4 hp booster pump

Sacramento, CA

6. Back To Top    #6

Check the reviews on ebay and amazon 1st.

I bought the filter flosser which was about $25 mail order.
    This product does not extend between each pleat.
    It has about a dozen water orifices with excellant pressure.
    This has cut the time to clean a cartridge by 75%.
    It is made of high quality metal.
    Don't store it near the muriatic acid, mine pitted.

7. Back To Top    #7

I recently bought a company (Power Blue) that made the best filter cleaner product I had ever seen. It is a spray on wait 5 minutes and hose off. If you would like a sample to try just email me and I will send you some.

Jack