Motor oil spilled in pool

z33tec

Jul 7, 2016
NY
So of course this kind of stuff always happens when I'm away....

Long story short, my wife spilled some motor oil in the pool. Maybe 1/4 cup or so. Not much. She skimmed most of it off I guess. I am away for work for the week so won't be able to deal with it until I get back.

My question is, since the amount wasn't too great, should I bother with getting a product like "Pool first aid" that I saw recommended in one of the other (interestingly enough) threads about motor oil in a pool?

Also, will backwashing be enough to clear out any oil that got in the sand filter?

I am most likely going to be closing my pool within the next couple of weeks, so I need to get this addressed before I do. Even if the bulk of it is out, I just want to make sure any leftover residue won't make it unsafe for my family to swim in.

I would definitely get the first aid and add to the pool.
The chlorine would eventually break it down, but you said that you'll be closing in a couple of weeks, so I'd recommend taking care of it now.

She could have also gone to the auto parts store and get some oil pads to soak it up, but it's probably too late for that. But for future reference; shut the pump down immediately and get some oil pads and soak up as much as you can before it gets into the filter.

Ok so looks like I'll grab some of the pool first aid product when I get home. Don't really want to replace the sand if I don't have to as its brand new already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.