Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair Dynamo 1.5 hp stopped working

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair Dynamo 1.5 hp stopped working

Was doing my routine maint and shut the pump off, went to restart it and it just hummed. Typically I would say the capacitor was shot but can't find one on it? Funny thing is I decided to go ahead and close it for the winter amd worry about it in the spring, so I pulled it off. Plugged it in on the bench and gave it a spin by hand and now it runs? Any thoughts?
    21 ft agp, 1 Hp Pentair Dynamo pump, Pentair sand dollar filter with Intex Swg.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair Dynamo 1.5 hp stopped working

There is no capacitor in the end cap of the motor?

Is there centrifugal switch?

Could be corroded contacts.

Did it spin easy by hand?

Once running did it make a lot of noise?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Sorry it took so long to respond. No capacitor in it that I can find, It does have a terminal block in it for the ac line and the switch-Maybe that could be it. Now it does have what acts like a clutch that spins in and engages when it starts. Once it was running on the bench it sounded normal however the pump was empty and there was no load on it. Didn't want to run it to long dry. It's about 9-10 years old now so maybe it's just time? It spun freely by hand as well.
    Last edited by Joelin; 10-03-2016 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something

4. Back To Top    #4

That is a centrifugal switch. Check the contacts for corrosion.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

OK, Where would they be located. Used to dealing with brush's at work. never seen one like this.

6. Back To Top    #6

The switch is right on top of the governor. Look something like this:

Mark

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok. Would a shot of contact cleaner do it or would I need to sand them off if there's any corrosion?

8. Back To Top    #8

Emery cloth would probably work best but sand paper can work in a pinch.

Also you can check to make sure the switch is aligned to the governor.
    Mark