Winterizing after new water fill

Kmama2

Sep 17, 2016
Lancaster NY
We got an above ground pool this summer and our installer messed up on our vinyl liner install and had to come out and replace it a few days ago. We just finished re-filling the pool and now I'm left with questions. Now that temps are lower here in buffalo, it seems like a reasonable time to close the pool. The installer told us to fill to just below the skimmer, throw in a bottle of shock and close it up. The store basically said the same thing but recommended a few winter chemicals also. But I called another pool store and they said we absolutely need to fill to top, run the filter and get water balanced (specifically with calcium) before closing. At this point we did decide to fill to the top and get the filter running but aren't sure what to do now. This is our first season with the pool as is, so it's all new to me. Any advice?

Stay out of the Pool Store or you will be their captive and not understand what to do.

Do your own testing. Your water may need nothing, it may need a lot but we won't suggest anything until you can tell us the current chemical conditions.

Their is an article in Pool School on how to close an ABG

Rule of thumb - close late & open early for best results. As Dave noted, do not take any advice from the pool stores - especially their testing. The 3 items you showed above (pH, TA, CH) don't really help a whole lot at the moment. You'll want to post a full set of test results from either a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C. If you have neither, that really should be your first priority. Even if you close soon, the kit will be good for next season. I highly recommend the TF-100.

You can ignore the advice about calcium. CH plays little to no part in your vinyl pool. Most important to you right now is FC, CC, and CYA - all can be tested with the TF-100 from home. With new water, you still want stabilizer to increase CYA to at least 30. Use the sock-soaking method to add stabilizer. The Poolmath calculator can help you with the dosage amount. Do that right away though. It's very important to serve as a buffer from the harsh chlorine and protect chlorine form the sun's UV.

Don't add any other chemicals to your water (other than bleach, stabilizer, and/or perhaps muriatic acid) until you are about to close. Even then, perhaps Polyquat 60 and that's it. Refer to the TFP Pool School - Closing (Winterizing) Your Above Ground Pool page for more details. Hope that helps.

Thank you. I have certainly learned my lesson about pool stores. Right now my FC, CC and CYA are 0. I wasn't sure if I should add some chlorine, keep it open for a week or so, and then give it some algaecide and chlorine shock? I was in a system called simple blue prior to the water drain and refill. I'm not sure if I will go back to that next year, but for now it seems to be a waste of money for the short time left in the season.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.