Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: AquaCheck salt strips VS K-1766 drop test

1. Back To Top    #1

AquaCheck salt strips VS K-1766 drop test

I was trying to recalibrate my Aquarite SWG so I wanted to get an exact reading. I have reason to believe that it was never calibrated however I thought the cell was not producing chlorine. Here are the results
    AquaCheck strip test says 3270ppm (put in 1 inch of water) Tested it twice
    K-1766 test says 4400ppm (using Apollo Stirrer) Tested it twice.
    Aquarite SWG says 3200ppm
    So which test should I believe.

BTW here are the full results
    FC- 14
    CC- 0.5
    TC- 14.5
    PH- 7.6
    TA- 90
    CH- 310
    CYA- 90
    TEMP -90
    BORATE- 50
    Water is sparkling.
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: AquaCheck salt strips VS K-1766 drop test

As long as the SWG is happy, the numbers dont really matter
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

3. Back To Top    #3

Salt tests are +/- 200-400 ppm. And your salt reading on your SWG isn't really a salt reading it at all. Salt tests are designed to get you into the ballpark to make sure you aren't way low or way high. As Gris says if the SWG is happy and making chlorine and the salt test is between somewhere between around 3000 and 4500 ppm then life is good in salt land.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Looking at your full test results, just remember that your pH reading is not accurate because your FC of 14. The pH test should only be done when FC is less than 10.
    24,200 gal., IG vinyl, 18' x 36' rectangular, average depth 5'. K-2006C
    Jandy SFTM22 sand filter, 1 HP Hayward Super Pump, Doheny's Discovery Robot.
    One skimmer, one main drain, two eyeball jets, and one return from the booster pump.
    One wife of 26 years (schoolteacher, first grade), four kids (ages 14,16,17, and 19).
    I work night shift (Pediatric RN) so most of my posts will be during the night.

5. Back To Top    #5

You can't recalibrate the AquaRite. If the cell is over 5 years old, it's likely to be underperforming. An underperforming cell will cause the box to read lower than actual. Check the cell for scaling and clean if necessary. Don't clean with acid unless necessary and only with the most dilute acid that is effective.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    You can't recalibrate the AquaRite. If the cell is over 5 years old, it's likely to be underperforming. An underperforming cell will cause the box to read lower than actual. Check the cell for scaling and clean if necessary. Don't clean with acid unless necessary and only with the most dilute acid that is effective.
    I came across this on how to recalibrate AquaRite SWG
    How To: Recalibrate the Salt Level on a Hayward Aqua Rite - YouTube
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade

7. Back To Top    #7

It's not a recalibration. It merely resets the average salt reading to the instant salt reading.

Can you post all of the diagnostic readings?

8. Back To Top    #8

Just to answer your original question - the K-1766 is the most accurate representation of your salt levels. The K-1766 is a chemical test that measures the exact chloride ion (Cl-) concentration in water. It has no interferences (unless you put cyanide in your pool or you have a mixed chlorine/bromine pool) and it can be made more accurate by simply using a larger water sample - 10mL sample has a precision of 200ppm/drop while a 25mL sample has an 80ppm/drop. I won't go into the chemical details, but it is a highly accurate test.

The test strips, hydrometers, SWG output and handheld TDS electronic meters are all proxy methods of measuring salinity because they measure something other than salinity that is affected by the salinity of the water. So, in the case of those strips, the technique being used is capillarity. The capillarity of those strips (how high the internal water level rises) is affected by salinity. However, it is also affect by other chemicals in the water, how much water you add to the sample tube that the strip sits in, the temperature of the water sample, etc, etc. Electronic meters measure conductivity and the conductivity of water is affect by all the ionic species in water, not just the chloride ion concentration. Most proxy methods of measuring salinity are not much better than +/-400ppm. Electronic meters can be calibrated with standard conductivity solutions to get better accuracy BUT few people do that and fewer still regularly calibrate them.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates