Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dog run automation

1. Back To Top    #1

Dog run automation

I am always looking for easy ways of automating things to make life a little easier. Currently, my dog run is completely tore up so we could run our conduit for the new pool build and I am going to make some changes. The run is only 5 feet wide, but is 50 feet long. It also houses all of my pool equipment. My plan is to lay concrete with a deco drain up the center to make cleanup time easier. I have an idea to use an irrigation valve set to the sprinkler timer to rinse the concrete every evening and morning. I already do something similar to keep fresh water in the dog bowls, but the bowl is just one small spray head that shoots directly into the bowl, to force any old, dirty, hot water out and replace it with fresh. What I need help with is figuring what type to spray head to use that I can aim down at the concrete rather than shooting up into the air and all over my stucco and block walls because I just want to rinse the urine down the drain, not drench the whole dog run. I was thinking about just stubbing up 3/4" pvc every 5 feet or so and screwing in a 180 degree sprayer like this.

31k2VX-V+AL._SY400_.jpg
    Jay...12,500 gallon freeform pool and attached spa w/ Bullfrog Oscillator & ClusterSpray Jetpaks
    Jandy 2hp VS pump(main), Jandy 2hp Stealth pump(Jetpaks), Jandy 1hp Stealth pump(water features) Jandy CL-580 filter, Jandy Watercolors LED lighting, Jandy Aqualink RS8(revision MM) w/Aquapalm, Autelis Controller, Onetouch controller, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWG, Jandy LXi 400k heater, Paramount PV3 6 zone infloor cleaning system

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dog run automation

I like your imagination and ingenuity Jay. I have 6 dogs and can understand the need to make management easier. I've not used that particular spray head before, but it appears to have a good directional angle to it. Hope it works for you. Maybe later post a pic of your set-up so we can see the "ruff" life your dogs have.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Something with a drain: Pet Supplies : H2O Animal Hydration Tough Guy Automatic Waterer with Drain for pets, 1.5 gallons : Pet Self Waterers : Amazon.com

While you're rigging a control for the fill, it can't be that much extra work to rig a control for the drain at the same time.
    "...chemistry is not an exact science" -Mario Andrada, Rio 2016 Olympics spokesman
    21' x 52" Radiant Metric Round ~10K gal AGP with Hayward S180t pump/sand filter.
    Caldera (Watkins) Martinique 340 gallon installed in basement, Bromine and ozone.
    Taylor K-2006 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

I will definitely post pics when it's done, but it might be a while still, it's already been a year since we started our pool.
    As for creating a built in drain, that would be cool, but more work than I care to put in. Filling the water bowl and rinsing down the concrete are both easily accomplished with irrigation valves and the sprinkler timer I already have. I could easily wire a second valve to open 1 minute before filling to allow the old water to drain out, but I want to keep it simple, plug I just want to set a bowl down and be able to take it inside to clean it or replace it without having to rig the drain each time.
    Jay...12,500 gallon freeform pool and attached spa w/ Bullfrog Oscillator & ClusterSpray Jetpaks
    Jandy 2hp VS pump(main), Jandy 2hp Stealth pump(Jetpaks), Jandy 1hp Stealth pump(water features) Jandy CL-580 filter, Jandy Watercolors LED lighting, Jandy Aqualink RS8(revision MM) w/Aquapalm, Autelis Controller, Onetouch controller, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWG, Jandy LXi 400k heater, Paramount PV3 6 zone infloor cleaning system