Hello from Mission Hills!

Mar 9, 2014
Kansas City
I am in Mission Hills, KS. We resurfaced pool with Inter-glass last year. So far so good I guess. We were having algae issues pop up a few times a year and this year we had none. I assume that's because of the new surface whereas the old one had some cracks in areas (not leaking water, but just hairline visable cracks which gave algae a place to hide) and the interglass surface sealed all that up. But the other thing it could have been was the new salt water generator we got. We were dumping gallons of bleach in every week and switching to salt. We just dump in a few bags of salt now once a month and can keep the CYA very low (which I like because I read it is a slightly toxic chemical? Maybe I'm making that up?) Anyway, my dream is keeping the pool open year round. Pool guy tells me not to, but if I run the heater it seems like I could?

Welcome to TFP!

No, CYA is not a toxic chemical. It protects your chlorine from the sun and buffers the harshness when you are swimmkng. More here, ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry.

Keep it open year to avoid closing? Or keep it open and heated for swimming? Keeping pool water heated for swimming would be difficult and very expensive in your climate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.