Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Air pocket behind new liner

1. Back To Top    #1

Air pocket behind new liner

Hello,
    we just had a new liner installed and the liner has an air pocket in one area. As we filled up the pool, the liner was forced to push against the wall and remove this air gap. However, in one area, this gap has not gone done and it looks like a pocket of air is trapped behind it. Is this normal?
    21' AG vinyl liner pool with cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Air pocket behind new liner

What kind of liner do you have? J-hook, overlap, etc. You could/should have some people help you work the pocket out. It is not normal to have under the liner. What does the person who installed the liner say?

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

We have an overlap liner. The installer said it will go away when the pool is filled but it has not completely gone away and the pool is about a foot from being full. The installers really don't want to help with anything and just keep telling us it's normal. It doesn't seem normal to me.

4. Back To Top    #4

I would get in it and work it up and out. BUT I would have two helpers to help hold the liner on either side of the bubble.

We did not have ANY bubbles when ours was installed. They did use a shop vac to help seat the liner. Did your installer use a shop vac to pull the air out?
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi,
    The liner should not have a bubble in it. When the pool filled, I would agree that the pressure of the water should have squeezed the bubble out, but thats not always what happens.

I think Kims idea of working out the bubble may be the best way forward.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for your help. We actually discovered that the liner was not pulled over the rail enough and was sagging. So we pulled it tighter and now it's fine. These installers have honestly done a pretty bad job with the liner in general with wrinkles, etc so I'm not surprised.

7. Back To Top    #7

Nice find. I am glad you found that. I have a sad about your installers though So sad when there is a lack of work ethic or pride in a job.