Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Overflow Line

1. Back To Top    #1

Overflow Line

In the process of building a new pool and just noticed that I don't see an overflow line. All of the stubouts are below the tile line for the returns I assume. The plumbing was installed and buried a couple of days ago and they are in the tile/coping phase now. Is this done later in the process? I don't want to keep harping on the PB if this comes later but also don't want to get to the end and they say "oops".

Thanks for the help!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tallahassee, FL

Re: Overflow Line

I know of one pool where they forgot to put the overflow pipe/grate in. They had to go back and do it.

You need to talk to your PB and see what he says.

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Orlando, FL

Do you have a PVC pipe sticking out of ground near the perimeter of your deck? If you do, one of the stubouts may be your overflow line. My overflow line is submerged under the water line, even with the return stubouts, and drain side will be cut above the waterline in the pool. Here is a pic of how they set my overflow line. It's the non-capped pvc pipe on the left. You can see the drain side PVC pipe sticking out of the ground in the background.

I always thought the overflow needs to be above the water line in the pool, but looks like there is another way to do it! I was at a friends house this afternoon and her pool had a submerged overflow line as well. Said she has no issues with it.

You should definitely confirm with your PB though.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide
    Bedford, TX

All of the overflow lines that I have seen are just above the water level, in the tile line.. You need to talk with your PB just to make sure..

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP5200 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2.