Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just mowed my power supply cord

1. Back To Top    #1

Thumbs up Just mowed my power supply cord

Just hit my power supply cord to my 3000 GPH Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump model # 28651EG ! I feel i can replace it however I am having trouble finding the part. I do however have a intex 653T pump could i use that power cord on my other pump? Please help thanks in advance for any advice or input

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just mowed my power supply cord

they both say cat. no: GF9
    CLASS A 120V, 15AMP 60Hz 1800w

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

If the gauge of the wire is the same between the two pumps it should be fine to swap the cord ends. Hopefully the cord wasn't plugged in when you hit it.
    Chuck-
    15x30 Above ground, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is funded by member support click here to help

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the reply no it wasn't plugged in. How can I determine if they are the same gauge? I have tried sending an email to intex but can't find nothing but a number and there only open m-f

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Look on the cord - it should say something like - 14-2 or some other numbers. Let us know what BOTH cords say.
    Gene
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment

6. Back To Top    #6

on the actual cord They both say 18awg (0.824mm^2) 300v VW-1 SJTW 3/C

However the one that got cut has (UL)/C (UL) and the one that isn't cut just has UL. Will that cause any issues?

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

The (UL)/C is the Underwriters Lab of Canada designation. UL is Underwriters Lab. 18 awg means it's 18 gauge wire.

Does the actual motor have any volt/amp ratings listed? I think 18 gauge 3 conductor wire is rated for a max of 7 amps if the cord is 50 or less in length.

The GF9 data you initially listed is most probably for the ground fault interrupter only.
    Gene
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment

8. Back To Top    #8

This is what the actual pump says, the top picture is of the smaller pump the bottom is of the bigger pump.

20160918_193136.jpg20160918_193201.jpg

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Neverlift17 View Post
    on the actual cord They both say 18awg (0.824mm^2) 300v VW-1 SJTW 3/C

However the one that got cut has (UL)/C (UL) and the one that isn't cut just has UL. Will that cause any issues?
    Quote Originally Posted by proavia View Post
    The (UL)/C is the Underwriters Lab of Canada designation. UL is Underwriters Lab. 18 awg means it's 18 gauge wire.

Does the actual motor have any volt/amp ratings listed? I think 18 gauge 3 conductor wire is rated for a max of 7 amps if the cord is 50 or less in length.

The GF9 data you initially listed is most probably for the ground fault interrupter only.
    Based on the info you provided, I would say that it is safe to make the switch. If it was mine, I would feel very comfortable that there wasn't going to be an issue. The wire is the same gauge, 18 awg, and can handle the same current. The replacement cord is from a bigger motor "current draw wise" than the one you will use it on (based on info & pics you provided).

Having (or lack of) the (UL)/C rating just means that the cable has been tested and passed UL Canada 3rd party testing. Since I see you live in OK, the Canadian approvals wont mean much since it has the UL label.

Just be sure you hook up the replacement wire correctly to maintain the proper GFI protection. Good Luck

- Dave -
    Dave - Aqua Leader Elegance AGP 15'x30'x 54", 12k gallons, vinyl liner ... Hayward/SwimPro Voyager pump SW159412STL, 2hp, 2spd, Hayward/Voyager 175sf element filter SW175MDDVPAKS, Installed August 2016 ... Liquid Chlorine, Stenner, Woods 50015 timer ... TF-100 .... CYA/Chlorine Chart ... Recommended Levels ... Basic Care Schedule ... Extended-Test-Kit-Directions ... ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for the reply so the smaller pump is actually drawing more than the larger? My picture of the pumps show 6 amps for the large pump and 2.1 amps for the small pump?

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks for the reply so the smaller pump is actually drawing more than the larger? My picture of the pumps show 6 amps for the large pump and 2.1 amps for the small pump?
    The bigger pump draws more power (at least rated for a higher power, actual power consumption is another topic)
    your posts said:
    top pic: Krystal Clear ENSEMBLE 2.1A, bad cord is on the Krystal Clear...
    bottom pic: Modele SF80110 6.0A good cord is on the 653T ( but pic shows it as SF80110)

is this accurate info or have I misunderstood something?
    Dave - Aqua Leader Elegance AGP 15'x30'x 54", 12k gallons, vinyl liner ... Hayward/SwimPro Voyager pump SW159412STL, 2hp, 2spd, Hayward/Voyager 175sf element filter SW175MDDVPAKS, Installed August 2016 ... Liquid Chlorine, Stenner, Woods 50015 timer ... TF-100 .... CYA/Chlorine Chart ... Recommended Levels ... Basic Care Schedule ... Extended-Test-Kit-Directions ... ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

12. Back To Top    #12

The bigger pump (SF60110) is the cord that I hit. The smaller pump 635t is the pump with the good cord I will use . Sorry for the confusion I just wanted to double check before I caused any more damage haha

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

If both pumps were wired with 18awg wire then it wont matter which pump the wire came from. Make sure the over all wire length is the same, what I mean by that is if the power wire from the loaner pump (the smaller one) is longer than the original cord for the larger pump shorten it to match the wire that came off the bigger pump. Other than that make sure you wire it correctly and maintain your GFCI protection.
    Chuck-
    15x30 Above ground, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is funded by member support click here to help

14. Back To Top    #14

The bigger pump (SF60110) is the cord that I hit. The smaller pump 635t is the pump with the good cord I will use . Sorry for the confusion I just wanted to double check before I caused any more damage haha
    OK, I stand corrected. I still think you are OK since both wires are the same.