Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Closing pool with potential algae - What happens?

1. Back To Top    #1

Closing pool with potential algae - What happens?

Today is the day to close the pool. It appears as if algae is just setting in. When I open it in the spring, I am usually dealing with some very dirty water. It takes a week and I have it to where I can see the bottom. My question, what happens if I close the pool now? Does algae grow like a tree and I will be dealing with even more matter to take out in the spring? Or will algae just be present...freeze off in the winter...slam it in the spring...and water is back to normal? Wanting to know what problems I will be creating for myself. Thank you.
    29K Gallon, Concrete bottom/Fiberglass sides, SWG, Sand Filter, 1HP Pump, Gas Heater
    Kansas City, KS

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tallahassee, FL

Re: Closing pool with potential algae - What happens?

I have to ask why you are closing the pool now? I did a search for your weather and it says you are hitting in the 80s for some time to come. That is algae growing weather

Is there any way you can wait? Do a SLAM, get it clear, close when your temps are down to 60 or so. We have a link and area just for closing pools. We can help you do it and save some money if you are paying someone to do it.

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!