Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: wicked rough gunite pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Haverhill, Mass

wicked rough gunite pool

My pool is about 15 years old, but I have only owned it for 1 1/2 years. I started out knowing absolutely ZERO about pools and have made a lot of mistakes, but learned so much in less than 3 seasons. I assume I made a season long mistake this year by not being more vigilant about my ph levels. They were always up and I added acid every week, but every time I checked they seldom were below 7.8. I THINK I kept other numbers in range.
    So this is what happened...Almost all of a sudden my pool surface got rough and rougher and insanely rough. There were also large groups (like 3 feet wide) of white dots which were equally rough, but even where there were no dots it was rough. Least rough was on steps. Also, there were wild white swashes of color down from the sides and into the pool bottom (like what would result from a pouring of something). None of this was there early this season.
    Am I right to blame this on my not keeping my ph down? I keep reading that gunite pools have rough surfaces. They say that like it is inevitable and not a chemical imbalance. Is that it?
    Mostly, what do I do? Acid wash? Use an electric type sander and grind it down? Or new plaster? What about paint?
    (Also, if someone could explain the difference between etching and scaling I would appreciate it!)
    13,000 IG, salt water, attached spa working off one system, gunite, DE filter, Hayward 2 speed pump, built around 2004, using Taylor test kits, SWG, well water

2. Back To Top    #2

Chandler AZ

Re: wicked rough gunite pool

I see your signature says you are "using Taylor test kits". Which exact test kits?

Also, you're on a well. Are there any metals in the water? Easier to get this tested at a pool store.

Please post a full set of test results for us to look at.

Water temp

Etching eats into a surface
    Scaling builds up on a surface
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: wicked rough gunite pool

Yes, it sounds like calcium scale which is certainly contributed to by high pH. More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling. PoolMath will give your CSI after you enter all your test results. Tweak PH and TA to move the CSI number.

Three choices

Least aggressive
    Lower your CSI to -0.8 to -0.9 and brush a lot to dissolve the scale. It will take a while, about as long as it took to scale. You can also wet sand the rough spots.

Next choice, no drain acid bath
    The Zero Alkalinity Acid Treatment

Last choice and most aggressive is to drain and acid wash. This will remove plaster from your pool and shorten the life of your plaster.

After you clear it up keep the CSI between -0.3 and 0 to prevent scale in the future.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach