Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: what pump to buy to convert from Intex

1. Back To Top    #1

what pump to buy to convert from Intex

Advice about changing over from using the Intex cartridge filter pumps to a standard above ground sand filter. What size pump do I need for 10,400 gallon Intex ultra frame pool? I have a sand filter from an older above ground pool I was planning on using with it, will that be ok? How do I know what size pump and sand filter is appropriate? One of the reasons I want to switch is so I can effectively vacuum the pool, I did not have luck with trying to vacuum since the pool has 2 outlets that combine to go to the pump. I have problems with leaves and field dust, etc and am hoping to do better with it next year.
    22" x 52" AG Intex pool, ultra metal frame 2015
    10,400 gallons, full sun
    krystal clear model 633 pump using a type B cartridge filter
    Filled with well water, using a Taylor K-2005 test kit
    Northern IL

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: what pump to buy to convert from Intex

We have an intex with two outlets too. We added a Hayward skimmer, and plugged the pool outlets. So now water enters the pump through the the skimmer. We attach our vacuum to the skimmer and it works great, it has great suction . Instead of buying another pump, perhaps this might be an option? Your pool is twice as big as ours.
    1st time pool owner: 16x48 Intex Ultraframe, 5061 gallons, intex SWG, 1500 gph cartridge filter (635T) , Gorilla pad, SP1091LX Hayward skimmer, K2006 and K1766 test kits, high iron well water, Poolmate Metal out, 5 gallon bucket/polyfill filter

3. Back To Top    #3
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

4. Back To Top    #4

I also have this in my garage, waiting for winter to replace the previous one

Amazon.com : Best Choice Products® Pro Above Ground Swimming Pool Pump System 4500GPH 19 Garden

With this pump you will have to buy the Game adapters or go all the way using PVC pipe
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by rwood5093 View Post
    We have an intex with two outlets too. We added a Hayward skimmer, and plugged the pool outlets. So now water enters the pump through the the skimmer. We attach our vacuum to the skimmer and it works great, it has great suction . Instead of buying another pump, perhaps this might be an option? Your pool is twice as big as ours.
    So, dumb question, are you able to vacuum your pool at all with the skimmer attached? I have a problem with leaves getting in the pool. You still use the original pump that came with the pool then? Thank you!
    22" x 52" AG Intex pool, ultra metal frame 2015
    10,400 gallons, full sun
    krystal clear model 633 pump using a type B cartridge filter
    Filled with well water, using a Taylor K-2005 test kit
    Northern IL

6. Back To Top    #6

They make a adapter to cover the skimmer that you attach your vac hose to. Most skimmers like Hayward include the adapter with the skimmer in a kit. Amazon has them.

7. Back To Top    #7

Yep. There is a cover that goes down inside the skimmer and has a right angle that hooks to the vacuum hose. It works great and all the debris is caught by the skimmer sock. I will try to post a link.
    1st time pool owner: 16x48 Intex Ultraframe, 5061 gallons, intex SWG, 1500 gph cartridge filter (635T) , Gorilla pad, SP1091LX Hayward skimmer, K2006 and K1766 test kits, high iron well water, Poolmate Metal out, 5 gallon bucket/polyfill filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Hayward SP1091LX Dyna-Skim Above-Ground Pool Skimmer and Accessory Kit Amazon.com : Hayward SP1091LX Dyna-Skim Above-Ground Pool Skimmer and Accessory Kit : Swimming Pool Skimmers : Patio, Lawn Garden we had a problem with the bottom piece, it was 1 1/2 where our hose was not. So we got this and it all works great. Hayward SPX1091Z1 Hose Adapter Replacement for Hayward Automatic Skimmers Amazon.com : Hayward SPX1091Z1 Hose Adapter Replacement for Hayward Automatic Skimmers : Swimming Pool And Spa Supplies : Patio, Lawn Garden