Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Paint now to buy time to save for plaster?

1. Back To Top    #1

Paint now to buy time to save for plaster?

The paint in our pool is worn off in lots of places exposing the concrete, so it's obviously time for something to be done about it. We just bought this house back in July and I'm not even sure the last time it was painted. Based on my research I'd like to plaster the pool but the cost is pretty prohibitive to do it on such short notice before winter gets here.

With as much concrete exposed as there is, I've thought about just giving it another paint job in the meantime to save up for a proper plaster job once that set of paint wears off. But if it's possible for the pool to survive another year to save up for a plaster job at the end of next season, then I think I'd rather do that.

The steps are by far the worst of the wear: http://imgur.com/HB6Yt19 http://imgur.com/M4EzF5v

The rest of the wear is mostly around the corner of the ledge that runs all the way around the pool: http://imgur.com/0KbRX1u

The bottom surface of the pool is pretty much intact.

Any opinions on painting now and plastering the next go vs waiting a year and plastering? I'm not sure how dire a refinish is given the state of the paint wear but I'm guessing something needs done sooner or later.
    40,000g IG fiberglass walls w/ painted concrete - Bleach Chlorination - Hayward Northstar 1.5 HP Pump - 500lbs Hayward S310T Sand Filter - TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Paint now to buy time to save for plaster?

I was in the exact same situation last year. My advice would be to hold off and plaster it when you can...it's merely cosmetic as it is.

My replaster quote was $ 3,500 but the pool was half the capacity of yours. But I ended up selling that property before I got a chance to redo it.

You have plaster over the fiberglass?
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Jandy Lite2 LJ250N gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.

3. Back To Top    #3

Just the side walls above the ledge in the last picture are fiberglass, so no plaster over that part.
    40,000g IG fiberglass walls w/ painted concrete - Bleach Chlorination - Hayward Northstar 1.5 HP Pump - 500lbs Hayward S310T Sand Filter - TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Look into ecoFinish. That is something that can be put over both the concrete and fiberglass. It is a permanent finish
    Over 30 years in the pool business
    We build vinyl, fiberglass, stainless steel pools
    Certified in Hydraulics