slamming by accident?

JanHan

Silver Supporter
Jul 3, 2016
DFW, TX
Been trying to apply TFPC method day 10. Water has been clear since beginning,(or so I thought) but just took ownership of pool and wanted to apply TFPC. Biggest issue was getting 100 CYA and beyond 8.2PH and non-existent FC in check, and we have horrible hard well water . After draining much of the pool to lower CYA, and a ton of Muriatic acid, ( I thankfully found out from a member here that running my fountains was preventing me from dropping PH, life saver it helped). I got my levels to semi-decent levels yesterday minus FC count(it was still only 2) But then I noticed that the grit near my steps wasn't really grit, but what I assumed was mustard algae starting because i found it starting in other shady places in my pool. Dumped a jug of bleach and then took a nail brush and cleaned around all returns and lights and stair corners, then scrubbed walls and floor with bigger brush. Dumped another 2 full jugs of bleach and called it a night. Woke up today and took total reading and this is where I am. Sorry about the novel. My question is, it seems my FC finally "worked" because dumping 2 jugs of bleach in has not done much in the past. (i do use the calculators, but sometimes the amounts haven't done anything for my levels because of the out of control PH and cya and what Im assuming was running waterfall nonstop furthering the problem) Question 1., should i just follow the Slamming instructions now that my CC are above SLAM level needed because of the mustard issue? 2. Could it have been pollen and that is why the FC was so high this AM pretty sure it was mustard and all the gook that brushed off lights and returns was black and gross? 3. should I leave my fountains off in the chance that my PH levels shoot up again? 4. do i need to go get a bunch more bleach in case the algea makes a full bloom when it gets warmer today? thank you and sorry about the rambling.

today
PH 7.2
CYA 30
FC 14.5
CC .5
TC 15
TA 150
Ch 575
TEMP 80

yesterday
PH 6.8
CYA 30
FC 2
cc .5
TC 2.5
TA 150
CH 550
Temp 80

So you've got visible algae which means you should SLAM your pool properly. Alternatively you could perform an overnight chlorine lost test and verify that you have algae that chlorine is fighting due to it's loss overnight without sunlight. You can't get an accurate reading on PH when your chlorine level is at your pool's SLAM level (or above 10PPM I believe), so today's PH reading is not trustworthy. I think I would let the chlorine drop to under 10PPM, test and adjust PH at that point, then raise CL level to SLAM and SLAM until you pass the three criteria. And I'd get some bleach.

So you've got visible algae which means you should SLAM your pool properly. Alternatively you could perform an overnight chlorine lost test and verify that you have algae that chlorine is fighting due to it's loss overnight without sunlight. You can't get an accurate reading on PH when your chlorine level is at your pool's SLAM level (or above 10PPM I believe), so today's PH reading is not trustworthy. I think I would let the chlorine drop to under 10PPM, test and adjust PH at that point, then raise CL level to SLAM and SLAM until you pass the three criteria. And I'd get some bleach.

Thanks! Sounds like a good plan. Going to get more bleach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any thoughts on weather to run the waterfalls? Just retested and my CC hasn't budged. Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.