algae and no chlorine

saltpool76

Gold Supporter
Sep 16, 2016
Harrisburg, PA
Hi, My name is Allen. I have been reading here for a while trying different things to get my pool back to normal. I have a 20,000 gallon inground salt pool with vinyl liner. I have a 1hp hayward super pump. Circupool RJ30 salt system. The output of chlorine is 1.5 lbs/day. Our system runs from 7a-7p. I just replaced the cell 2 weeks ago. The old one was end of life, it was worn and plates were deteriorating. We put new filters in around memorial day. I have a clear solar cover on the pool. While we were waiting for the new cell to arrive, we used power powder from lesile pool, to keep chlorine and help get CYA in the pool. We have been having trouble with keeping chlorine in the pool and with algae. Our CYA has been almost non-existent until about 3 weeks ago. Finally we got it up to 60, but still can't hold chlorine. The ph is 7.2-7.4. Hardness is around 200. Salt is 3100. Alkalinity is 140. All of our levels are normal except chlorine. We just can't keep it in the pool. The highest it has been was 1-2 last week after I tried SLAMing the pool. Now it's back to 0. Algae comes back within 3-4 days. The liner gets very slippery, have some green algae in crevices and where there isn't a lot of water flow. Every time we get algae we put shock and algaecide in, put in the vacuum and pull the filters to spray them out then spray with chlorine solution. I'm not 100% about the phosphates, I think it was 1-200 when we got it tested. I'm going to take a sample to the pool store tomorrow to get it tested again. We don't get a lot of debris in the pool, but if we do, we skim it off or out and put vacuum in. I'm getting to the point where I just want to drain the pool and make it a skate bowl. We have a basic liquid test kit that I use almost every other day, to keep an eye on things. When I get it tested tomorrow, I'll post the results. Thanks in advance for your time and any advice you may give.

First, let me tell you that I am sorry about your pool problems.
Second, I think you need to read up on Pool School again. In order to SLAM your pool, you need to keep the chlorine level UP at all times, do not let it come down!! Or you get your result of recurring algea.
The SLAM level for chlorine depends on your CYA level.

Welcome! Do you know how much CYA/Stabilizer and or Power Powder and or "shock" you actually put in the pool, it's likely that the pool stores test for CYA is incorrect and your level is higher than you think. I would attribute the difficulty in keeping chlorine in the pool to never haven actually gotten rid of the algae or not maintaining a proper CL level to prevent it's growth thus it continues to live and your chlorine is fighting it and getting used up.

If you know what algaecides and other potions it would be nice to know names and quantities.

Welcome Allen. Aside from Maintaining chlorine, (the M in SLAM) you also need to accurately test the water. That cannot be done with your basic test kit, nor pool store results.

Don't give up on your pool! If you follow the advice from TFP experts, soon you'll look back at the frustration you're feeling and the money you've spent at pool stores and (hopefully) laugh.

Your post has several red flags, including:

- No proper test kit. This means you haven't actually tried a SLAM yet. You just shocked it, which obviously just wastes time and resources. Have you read about FAS-DPD kits? That and a Speed Stir are the best purchase decisions I made this year!

- Algaecide and powders in your pool. aside from unnecessary expense, these potions can complicate and even undermine the process of clearing your pool

- You didn't mention brushing. It's critical, and another item I undervalued as a newbie, and I paid for that by prolonging my SLAM

- Pool store testing. This was the last bit of cynicism I had about TFP: I didn't think national chains could survive while providing completely bogus data, but they do!

One trick is to use a sample of your pool water to figure out how much you need to add. Using a bucket of pool water add your chlorine to figure out how much chlorine it will take to hold a chlorine level. From what I understand is if you keep adding chemicals, and not reaching the level that you need your just waisting your time and money. You need to know what amount of chlorine you need to reach the level at one time. It's like walking down a escalator going up and stopping two steps prior to the landing.

One trick is to use a sample of your pool water to figure out how much you need to add. Using a bucket of pool water add your chlorine to figure out how much chlorine it will take to hold a chlorine level. From what I understand is if you keep adding chemicals, and not reaching the level that you need your just waisting your time and money. You need to know what amount of chlorine you need to reach the level at one time. It's like walking down a escalator going up and stopping two steps prior to the landing.

The SLAM actually addresses that though, and it's a constantly moving target during the SLAM process. With proper test results, the chart provides the amount of chlorine to maintain shock/SLAM levels, and pool math provides the exact amount needed to get there at any point in time. Frequent testing and keeping FC at shock/SLAM level based on the test results is the key.

Wow, Thanks for the quick responses.
1) The wife brushes the pool any time she see's algae and vacuums. She brushes the entire pool, sides, steps, everywhere. When we see that, we normally add 6-8 oz Hth Algaegard 60. If there was no algae, we just shock with Hth super shock 4 in 1.
2) We had a CYA of 3 all summer until we used Hth 4 or 5 chlorine tablets over 2 weeks and 9 lbs of cya. This finally brought the CYA up to 60.
3) When waiting the couple of days for the new SWG cell to get here, we used power powder plus 70% chlorine 1lb bags every 8-10 hours. We went through I believe we went through all 12 bags of the powder.
4) We have a test kit from home depot. 5 way HDX test kit. We have a bigger older one, but don't know how old it is and if anything in it is still good.

Yep, this is a very active forum. As it turns out, you're not the first frustrated pool owner considering an in-ground skate bowl. When people see the light and find the way to keep a low-cost, trouble-free pool, they get excited and want to share. (count me in)

I assume you'll be closing your pool soon. I can't speak to that, but I've seen many mentions of closing it in good order so you have something to look forward to.

The TFP experts don't mince words when they warn people to commit to one method (pool $tore) or another TFP. Mixing them is confusing, frustrating, and expensive. It's clear to me that you've already given a fair shot to the pool store method. I beg you go with TFP.

If you're willing, here are some steps:

1. Decide to exclusively apply TFP methods
2. Read http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/122-what-is-tfpc-bbb
3. Purchase an FAS-DPD test kit. This is a judgement call, but since you don't know the age or condition and you're running out of season, I say go for a new one.
4. Forget the potions and powders the pool store sold you. Don't buy more, and don't use what you have unless specifically instructed by TFP experts to do so.
5. Give pool testing NO credence!
6. Read http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/123-abc-of-pool-water-chemistry
7. Read http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shockingl (remember, you have not done a SLAM. There is no "try") :)
8. Refer to http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock
9. Read http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/136-perform-the-overnight-fc-chlorine-loss-test-oclt This is part of the process of determining when your SLAM is complete
10. Buy lots of liquid chlorine / bleach. Use non-scented, NON-splashless, non "outdoor" bleach. I've noticed many places are putting it on close-out at good prices. There are many discussions here about sources, prices, strengths, age and quantity.
11. Thoroughly brush everyday during your SLAM, whether algae is visible or not.

12. Note my post count and understand that I'm new at this. (but my pool looks incredible!)

I'm done with the pool store. When I get a break at work, going to get a new kit. Going to print off the links you posted, so I can read tonight and tomorrow. A lot of places have that bleach on sale. Will bring my truck. LOL Thanks for the links to start.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You have a large pool, Saltpool76. I would suggest ordering the TF-100 XL from TFTestkits.net as it will have the most reagents for the tests you're going to be doing most often to clear this up. A speed stir device helps spin the test tube and makes testing faster, but its optional if your wrist action is up to it?

I ordered the tf-100 w/stirrer, it will be here nest week. When SLAMing the pool, how much bleach do you add to start? For example say I have a CYA of 70 and shock FC 28. Just add a gallon every hour until level is reached, then maintain that level? What do you do about chlorine when you go to work and you can't add?

PoolMath is going to guide you in how much of any chemical you need to add. You'll become best friends with it ;)

But for future reference keep in the back of your mind that for a 20K gallon pool, 32 ounces of 8.25% bleach will raise your FC by 1ppm.

That's handy to remember when you're testing the water and just want to bump up your FC but don't want to go get on the computer.

PoolMath is going to guide you in how much of any chemical you need to add. You'll become best friends with it ;)

But for future reference keep in the back of your mind that for a 20K gallon pool, 32 ounces of 8.25% bleach will raise your FC by 1ppm.

That's handy to remember when you're testing the water and just want to bump up your FC but don't want to go get on the computer.
:goodpost:

With that said, to go from zero to 28ppm FC it will take 896oz of 8.25% bleach. That would be just over nine 96oz bottles.

? What do you do about chlorine when you go to work and you can't add?

When your test kit arrives, please post up a full set of test results so we know what your CYA level is. Regarding the chlorine additions, most people add enough to bring up to the SLAM level based on CYA in the morning. Then at night, after testing again, add enough bleach to bring up to SLAM level again. If you find that you have absolutely no chlorine in your pool by the night time, then you will have to figure out a way to add during the day. Weekends always help. The SLAM will take a little longer by not monitoring your pool during the day, but you will get everything done.

I doubt you have ammonia, but that is for a later discussion. Please stop going to the Pool Store and rely on your own testing, which is way more accurate. Keep us posted with the results when your test kit arrives.

Please don't add anymore algaecide. It is more for prevention than curing it. (TFP usually onlY recommends it at closing or for certain circumstances.) if you have time, read some of the other "Help, my pool is green" threads so you'll get a good idea of the process while you wait for you test kit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.