Not happy with New Liner - Help!

I hired a local pool company to install a new liner in my existing 27' above ground pool. Things went wrong from the moment they showed up to install. I had told the owner that I was going to fill it up with my well. His response was that I would have to put more chemicals in to get rid of the metals. I agreed. When they showed up to install the guy tells me he can't guarantee this liner will not have wrinkles since I was filling with my well..... I had taken off work, there were no water trucks scheduled to come to my house, and they are there to install. He is telling me that I could burn up my well pump, etc. I panicked, called owner who assured me the liner would be fine and that I could "rest my well pump". I allowed them to install. Long story short(er)... took me three days to fill pool, about 1 week + to clear up the water and vacuum up bottom.

I had a week scheduled vacation, then it started raining... family in from out of state, more rain, etc. Did not use pool much. When we did get in, found a couple sharp rocks that are poking up, multiple indentations, not smooth at all. So rough on bottom, my automatic pool cleaner does not work. It gets stuck in the same place and won't move. When I move it, it cant vacuum the deep indentations. Using the hand held vacuum is very difficult. My maintenance on this pool has doubled. It takes real muscle to push/pull the vacuum over this liner. He is telling me this is normal for a sand bottom pool that is filled with a well. They don't think they are at fault. I am so dissatisfied. They tell me they won't have time to come out at all this season (because they are too busy closing pools) but could come out next spring and "reset" the liner. This means losing all the water I used to fill it up and all the chemicals I have put into the pool. Not to mention having to take off work, pay for water trucks, etc.

Any advice. I am a single working mother just trying to get a fair deal. What choices do I have?

Hello! :wave: Shame about your situation, but the water has nothing to do with it. Everything about your above ground pool hinges on a proper base. Just like many items, the foundation is key to success. If you feel sharp objects now, they'll probably only get worse as time goes on and the pool continues to settle. In addition, the base should be uniform, firm, and consistent enough to operate your automated or manual vacuums. That's simply pool 101. While it may be discouraging to have to empty the pool (now or later), I'd insist on having that done and ensuring the base is prepared properly before refilling. Very nice to have you with us.

Pat has it covered........I am just here to add a :hug: and let you know you are not crazy. I would think about having someone else do the work....I know you will have to pay again but......do you REALLY want them to try again?

I am also on a well and had NO issues with filling my pool from it. Yeah it took a little longer but it worked out fine! Now I do have awesome water (no metals and clear as can be and wonderfully clean and safe to drink). BUT it is the same as you filling from your well as far as the problems you are having with the bottom.............your problems are caused by lack of prep before they put the liner in :(

I am so sorry this happened.

Thank you both so much. I was beginning to think I was crazy. They make me feel that way. He won't get in the pool to check it out and had the nerve to tell me that anyone else would not have trouble vacuuming the pool! I have only paid them the down payment and withheld the final payment. Now I have to decide if I pay them in the spring or give that money to another pool company. I hate this it makes me sick to my stomach!!! I really needed your support right now.

Filling from a well or a truck or a city main is the same - it's WATER!!! Yes metals make it a bit more difficult to get to clear, but it has nothing to do with wrinkles, rocks or divots. Blaming you on their shoddy work is lame. Water pumps are manufactured to run. Starting them and stopping them is what will wear one out, not just pumping water. If you can find someone nearby who is knowledgeable about pools to help talk to the individual who is stonewalling you - and call bullhockey on his excuses, it may make it easier to get them to do the work correctly. In my area there are very few pool contractors, plus I had a very narrow time window to get mine installed, so I had to accept less than I would have preferred, nevertheless, poor work is just that - poor work.

As others have said, your issues are from base prep and NOT anything that you have done. The installer should have prepped the bottom properly and it sounds like they didn't take the time to do it. Sand + regrading + compaction

When we had our AG pool installed, the liner was bad & leaked as soon as we filled it from the water truck. I told the builder that since I already paid to fill the pool once, it was his responsibility to cover the costs of empty & refill. The builder came out later to install the new liner and brought collapsible water "tanks". It was just an open top soft sided bowl to hold the water, I think each one was 2500 gallon. They had to use 4 of them and took about 90 minutes to transfer the water from my pool to the tanks. We had to dump some, but not 12k gallons worth! I would demand that whoever fixes your issue to recover the water or pays for replacement water.

versatank-onion-tanks1.jpg

They are telling me the issue is not their fault because I filled from my well and it took 3 days. They say that because they weren't there while it was filling, they are not responsible for the liner problems VS a truck would have filled while they were there and there would not have been problems. My main problem now is whether or not to pay them.. they can't come out this season so have offered to come in spring and "reset" the liner. I don't feel like paying for something that I feel is wrong. But I don't want to get into a legal problem either. And as suggested in the above reply, do I really want them to do anything to my pool - not really. Thanks for your opinion, it makes me feel less along in this!

- - - Updated - - -

Wish I knew someone in my area who had those portable tanks! what a great way to save all that water. This installer told me he had nothing - it would be dumped into my yard. I am going to call around and see if anyone has these. Thanks!

You really need another PB to come out and evaluate the situation, so you can get an idea on cost to repair and then make an informed decision as how to proceed. I am on board with everyone else, and he is making excuses for his crappy prep work.

Did they provide a contract, "rules for filling", "owner obligations" to you? Assuming the pool has been backfilled properly since it is an existing pool, once that liner is in place, all they could do is move the liner around to get wrinkles out. You aren't complaining of wrinkles, you are having issues with bottom defects. Any & all "flaws" in the sand aren't going away once water goes in. I wouldn't want them in the pool that is filling trying to "fix" the sand. That is all prep work done before the liner goes in. Your sharp rock problems are under the liner, I don't see how that has anything to do with rate of filling??

I wouldn't pay the final payment if I had those issues.

If you are worried about legal issues, I would write them a letter sent via certified mail (or email to someone with authority) stating your name, where and when work was done, that you aren't happy with their work, list the issues, ask them to fix it, say you are withholding the final payment until work is completed per your satisfaction, and you would be happy to pay them within xx days after their completion of work to your satisfaction. I'm not a lawyer, but to me, this would show that you want to pay them, but need to wait until they fulfill their obligations. I think you need to provide all that so they don't claim that you just aren't paying them & never asked them to fix it. Keep a copy of the letter for yourself and keep it professional. I hate to say it, depending on how much you owe, they may just walk away, especially since they are not working with you to get it fixed. Send the letter regardless, them going quiet isn't necessarily them forgetting & walking away.

Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
To all who responded: Thank you for your support and advice. I have had two builders come out and they both agree that the liner was not installed correctly. The workmanship is poor and we found another problem. There is a crack in the outside wall of my pool and the new liner is bulging out!!!!! I have drained out most of the water and am waiting for a new liner to come in and go through all of this again:crazy: My saving grace is that I found a picture that I took on the day they installed the liner that shows the owner and his assistant standing in the pool (with shoes on), spreading out the new liner on top of sand that is obviously not smoothed out, AND the crack in the outside wall was present when they put this liner in. I have sent a letter and explained why I am not paying them as well as why I want my deposit back. I will not do business with this crew again! Live and learn.....

Hopefully you can collect your deposit back. My last pool was AG and had heel marks in the bottom. Stuff always collected there and my ladybug cleaner was never strong enough to suck it up. It's very frustrating.

I wouldn't think anyone should be walking around inside the pool until it's filled with enough water to hold the sand firm.

My pool builder put down thick cardboard for when he HAD to be in before water. He then filled large garbage bags with water and put them all along the side to help hold the liner in place. He walked out backwards on the cardboard and took it out as he went.

He waited until there was about 1/2' of water so he could float along and move the liner as needed. It worked great!

:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.