Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Drain pool water from pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Drain pool water from pump

Many person have admitted to "too high" CYA readings in their pool water and I witnessed a pool serviceman drain a pool with a pumping machine at very fast past.

So if one wanted to drain pool water in the case of Too high CYA, a question arose among my friends concerning whether 1. to drain pool water with the 1" diameter garden hose attached to spiket outlet at top PCV going into pump while pump is running or 2. to not perform 1. and instead open the Pump cleaning drain outlet at bottom of pump where hole is maybe 3 inches wide, releasing 3 times as much water in same amount of time. One could attach a pool cleaning line commonly used with floor vacuuming to take water away from pool mat.

Has anyone tried something like this? thanks
    Blue haven kidney style 16,000 gal gunnite including Spa, test Kit TF - 100
    Built 2000 deep end 7.5 feet, 2 steps at shallow end
    Original SWG then convert to chlorine
    Pentair Clean & Clear cartridge filter (4)
    Blue Haven Teledyne Laars Platinum II heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Houston tx

Re: Drain poo water from pump

I don't have the answer to your question but I'm sure one of our experts will be along shortly to help you. In the meantime you might want to add that missing "L" to your thread title. As is, it gives a whole new meaning to your thread!
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Antonio, TX

Haha, that missing L brought me here also. I was thinking this was going to be a really interesting story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    16K gal in-ground pool/spa with spill over, plaster/pebble, 6 returns each in pool and spa, 2 drains each in pool and spa, 2 skimmers in pool
    Pentair Whisperflo pump, Pentair FNS Plus DE filter w/ multiport valve, Pentair MasterTemp Heater, Pentair Racer Cleaner, Auto-fill
    Depth 3.5 - 6.5, Completed November 2014, TF-100 test kit w/ Speedstir

4. Back To Top    #4

Roseville, CA

I expected more... a lot more...

Regarding draining, it really doesn't matter. It's all about time. And get some advice from a local pool pro. Some areas with a high water table will cause the pool to lift out of the ground - a total catastrophe! In that case "water exchange" is your best option, and you may be limited by your garden hose (s).
    SWG: CircuPool SI30+Plus; Recommended Levels: Salt 3000-4000, 3500 is ideal;
    My Ideal Specs:
    FC 5; PH 7.5-7.8; TA 100; CH 350; CYA 75; = SI ~ 0.19
    14,000 gal, in ground, plaster, Cartridge filter
    TAYLOR K - 2006