Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tear in vinyl liner

1. Back To Top    #1

Tear in vinyl liner

Hi, All!

I have an inground vinyl lined pool with a very old liner that needs replacing. However:

1. I can'r really afford it right now
    2. I haven't been able to find anyone in my area that does this work despite searching like crazy.

My problem is the tear in the liner on the side of the pool pictuired below. If I can repair this I can probably get through one last season with this liner. My question is this:

Do you think I can successfully repair a tear that is this big? (6 3/4 inches acroiss, 9 inches down) If so, any advice about doing so?)

Thanks in advance for all your help!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    26,000 gallon IG Vinyl Lined, Hayward DE2400 Filter, Hayward SP2610X15 1/2 HP pump, Dolphin Sprite robot, open May to October

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Tear in vinyl liner

I would suspect you can repair it, even though I notice that the liner bead is tearing away from the liner, too. Just get the clear vinyl patch kit from Boxer, and smooth it out and apply the patch(s). The patch might well hold through the season. Good luck
    http://www.swimmingpool.com/

"Leave the gun...take the cannolis"

3. Back To Top    #3

Please take a look at this thread

With a tear like that, try to smooth it back together as best you can before applying the patches (I'd definitely do front and back for something that big) Make your patch oval (no square corners), cut the patch 2" larger than the rip and apply 2 patches to the inside and the outside - make the second patches ~3" larger all around than the first!

If you can get the patches on correctly, you could well get more than just this season out of them 8)
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks, Waste!

I had seen the previous post prior to posting my question, but wasn't sure if it was applicable given the size of the tear. Since the tear is above the water line I shouldn't have too much trouble getting both a back and front patch on.

Seems like the Boxer 4 oz. repair kit (500 sq. inches vinyl included) should do the trick. The only thing I haven't been able to determine is if the actual width of the included vinyl in the kit to make sure it's big enough to cover the tear. You wouldn't know by any chance, would you?

Looks like we might get to use our pool this season after all! Seems like a shame to keep the water clean (BBB method of course) and not use it.
    26,000 gallon IG Vinyl Lined, Hayward DE2400 Filter, Hayward SP2610X15 1/2 HP pump, Dolphin Sprite robot, open May to October

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by mtheaded
    Thanks, Waste!

I had seen the previous post prior to posting my question, but wasn't sure if it was applicable given the size of the tear. Since the tear is above the water line I shouldn't have too much trouble getting both a back and front patch on.

Seems like the Boxer 4 oz. repair kit (500 sq. inches vinyl included) should do the trick. The only thing I haven't been able to determine is if the actual width of the included vinyl in the kit to make sure it's big enough to cover the tear. You wouldn't know by any chance, would you?

Looks like we might get to use our pool this season after all! Seems like a shame to keep the water clean (BBB method of course) and not use it.

Just called boxer to check on the size of the patch...thought id put this out there: the guys said its 4 patches at about 21"x 5 7/8"
    16'x32' / 21,000 Gal / In Ground / Vinyl
    Hayward Sand Filter S220T / Hayward-Magnetek 1/2 HP Pump
    Nitro Wall Climber Robotic Pool Cleaner
    BBB
    TF-100 Test Kit