Closing Pool with no cover

brtims

Bronze Supporter
Jul 25, 2016
Nazareth PA
I live in Northeast PA and have a new in-ground pool. Been totally clear all year with zero issues thanks to this forum !!!!
So for closing I plan on lowering water below skimmer and returns, blowing out lines, draining filter and putting on WINTER, and undoing pvc connections and blow those out. I will put water at shock level and use polyquat 60.
My pool is pretty much on 4 acres of zero trees so no debris around. Do I really need to cover the pool other than to prevent any blowing debris from getting in??
I wonder with my cover on and water way below top layer that the cover will sag in when snow arrives and bring the water bags into the pool. Seems it could be annoying unless I buy those bubble things that are used for above ground. So is there any harm in just leaving my solar cover on all winter (to keep the chlorine from getting burned out)? and that's it???? I figure I could even put some chlorine floaters in when not frozen??
Thoughts??
Thanks a bunch
Brian

I would, but it is all personal preference. The cover will protect the liner (above water line) from the UV rays even through the fall and winter. In addition, algae will start growing and chances are that the algaecide will be consumed faster. Your water will probably be real dirty in the spring.

If you decide to leave the pool open, maybe adding a little bit of bleach and mixing it from time to time will not hurt. A solid tarp should be around $100. You may want to leave open and see how it goes and you can always cover it later.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.