SWG Cell positioning in the return lines??

Aug 26, 2016
Baltimore, MD
I'm still sorting out my new (to me) pool and system. I'm in the process of replacing the aged equipment and have a question about the position of my salt cell. The cell is in line after the pump on the return to the pool. Sounds right to me, but here's my question. Just before the cell is a diverter. One side of the diverter runs to the return jets (no cell) and the other runs to the in-floor cleaning system(with cell). Any reason why they would put the cell in line after the diverter? (The in-floor is a whole other thread. Snake oil?!)

A few issues I see with this are as follows...

I have to run the in-floor system to some degree to get any benefit from the SWG. Plus the system needs it's own maintenance right now, so I would prefer to run the jets alone. If I just run the jets, then the SWG cell gets no water running through it.

The other issue is that if I keep the diverter open on both sides evenly, then theoretically the cell is only seeing 50 percent of the water/flow. In my basic understanding of this, If I run the cell at 100% output, it's only going to be delivering about 50% chlorine output based on only seeing 50 of the water/flow. This would cause added wear to the cell with no benefit.

Back to my original question, is there any reason for this position in line? Could I negatively affect anything else by moving it back in line, where indicated? Or is it fine where it is? See images attached.

20160809_125455%20ED.jpg

20160809_125508.jpg

20160809_125515.jpg

Your proposed location is the right place for it BUT the SWG really should have some run of straight pipe to it before the flow sensor to reduce errors caused by turbulence. All those 90-deg elbows make it a not-optimal place to be, but after the heater is the correct location. If you have to do an equipment pad remodel someday, you should consider moving the MiniMax heater to allow for a straighter run of pipes.

Telly,

You say "The other issue is that if I keep the diverter open on both sides evenly, then theoretically the cell is only seeing 50 percent of the water/flow. In my basic understanding of this, If I run the cell at 100% output, it's only going to be delivering about 50% chlorine output based on only seeing 50 of the water/flow. This would cause added wear to the cell with no benefit."

I'm not sure that is true. I believe that running with both sides evenly split between your in-floor and returns would work fine. The SWG produces the same amount of chlorine regardless of the amount of water passing through, as long as there is enough to turn on the flow switch. Chlorine is Chlorine and just like dumping liquid in front of a return, it spreads throughout the pool, it just doesn't "stick" to what water passes through the SWG.

I agree it would make more sense to move the SWG, in the long run, but in the short term, I would run it at 50/50 split.

Jim R.

By Return Jets, isn't that line going to your spa? If so, then the return to the in floor system, and to your pool, makes sense. Putting it before the diverter of a Pool or Spa type system, may allow overchlorination conditions when the spa is isolated.
(ps. your photos label a spa suction, which is why I'm thinking you do have a spill over spa)
If you do not have a spa, then there would be no issues with positioning it before the diverter valve.
Last thought, shouldn't the flow switch be in the same line, but before the cell? The chlorine coming from the cell has the potential to erode your flow switch stainless steel paddle.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.