Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Some issues with Jandy AquaLink RS controllers and jva valves

1. Back To Top    #1

Some issues with Jandy AquaLink RS controllers and jva valves

Found my Pentair VS pump started randomly, and I think has been, as a result of my AquaLink RS anti freeze function - just noticed last weekend. Only way to get it to turn off was to “clear memory” from the control panel in our house. I think I have 75% set back up, and anti freeze set to lowest degrees (I live in SoCal so not to concerned about it freezing)…

VS speed pump is set to run slow and long all night. After resetting it I have it running at 900 RMP starting at 1AM and I think till 8AM. I took a look at around 5 this morning and saw the spa was 3/4 full (Not filling back up) and the window on the pump showed half full. So a couple questions below on this and more.

- Pentair VS Pump
    - Jandy JVA 2444
    - Aqualink RS controller

- Has anyone had issues with the programmed run time not run? I set the pump to run every day, but wasn’t running yesterday when I woke. It seems to randomly stop. Ironically the first night I didn’t check at 2AM and again when I get up at 5….;(
    - As mentioned above spa seems to empty unless I have
    - Pull from Pool @ 100%
    - Return to Spa @ 100%
    - Unless the valve is so sensitive that I just have to play with it and find the right setting. Then How to lock that in for my overnight run..
    - When configuring the Spa mode how to we set the position of the JVA’s?
    - Anyway to monitor runtime? to see if it stops at all over the night, or if it starts during the middle of the day.

I have the manual, for the Aqualink, but doesn't seem to give a lot of detail..

thanx
    Pool: Salt; 35, 000 - 40, 000 gallon; Pebble-tec; Spa overflows into the pool; 3 hayward pumps and one Pentair IntelliFlo VS; slide and waterfall

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Some issues with Jandy AquaLink RS controllers and jva valves

What are your air and pool temperature readings according to Aqualink? Maybe you have a bad temperature sensor.

Aqualink has an "All Off Time" setting in System Setup. When you reset, it could've defaulted to turning everything off at, say, 2 AM. So, check this part of the setup.

Regarding your Spa Mode question, go out and take a look at your JVA positions in Spa Mode. It should be suction JVA from spa, and return JVA to spa. Your signature states "spa overflows to pool". What are your JVA positions when in Pool Mode?
    19k in-ground 26x22, spa 8x8, PebbleTec; Jandy 2hp dual-speed pump, 60 sqft DE filter, 400k NG heater, 1 hp feature pump; Polaris 280 cleaner w/ booster; Stenner bleach pump; all controlled by Aqualink RS-8, 9 relays, 2 JVAs; FlowVis flow meter; TF-100 w/ SpeedStir

3. Back To Top    #3

thanx @watsowatso - haven't had a chance to get to the pump yet... The past few nights I've gotten up the pump is running.. But still haven't found that "sweet spot" to have both a little overflow from HT and return to pool...

Hoping to be able to check the temps and pool / spa mode JVA locations tonight..
    Pool: Salt; 35, 000 - 40, 000 gallon; Pebble-tec; Spa overflows into the pool; 3 hayward pumps and one Pentair IntelliFlo VS; slide and waterfall

4. Back To Top    #4

Temp reading on in-house controller seems to be on target... A few degrees off, but it's in the shade too..

The JVA positions do not change at all.. We tested the different modes both in service mode and using our controller in the house.. I'm thinking I need to reset them back up, but not 100% sure how to do that.. I attached a pic, and a short description what we did. I was out by the controller and pump. Wife was inside helping. The attachment is a pic of my valves.. I'm not sure if there's an insustry "standard" But the left is side of each JVA is the pool side - the right side is the Spa side.. The bottom JVA is From Pool / Spa the top JVA

Using the controller board back by the pool I put it in Service mode:
    - Pool mode keeps jva's as is
    - Spa mode keeps jva's as is

Out back to Auto and had wife put in spa and pool mode

In-House Controller
    Spa mode
    - keeps jva's as is and starts heater

Pool mode - there might not ba a "pool mode" I think we just turned on the filter pump
    - keeps jva's as is turns off heater

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

In the Industry

If you switch the toggle on the back of actuators do the valves move?

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes they both do

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

In the Industry

If valves move then there is power to them from the board, so it might be in the actuator. Maybe the adjustment for the stops are not right. Valve Actuator | Jandy Pro Series

8. Back To Top    #8

From your picture, the position of your suction JVA is open from pool and closed from spa (but slightly open). This may explain why you are losing level from your spa. Adjust the JVA stops as mentioned by kadavis above.

If the JVAs move with the toggle switches, then something else is wrong with the Aqualink board. Are the JVA harnesses hooked-up to the right sockets?
    19k in-ground 26x22, spa 8x8, PebbleTec; Jandy 2hp dual-speed pump, 60 sqft DE filter, 400k NG heater, 1 hp feature pump; Polaris 280 cleaner w/ booster; Stenner bleach pump; all controlled by Aqualink RS-8, 9 relays, 2 JVAs; FlowVis flow meter; TF-100 w/ SpeedStir

9. Back To Top    #9

I can manually change the jva's either way, with the toggle on the back side, but I don't know how to program them to auto change when we select either the pool or spa mode.

10. Back To Top    #10

Skygremlin, seems something is wrong with your Aqualink. When you put the system in service mode from the power center, pressing the valve button on the right side should have moved your JVAs between pool mode, spa mode, spa drain and spa fill... I don't think any programming is involved here, as long as the JVA harnesses are plugged into the correct sockets, and there aren't gremlins in the Aqualink board... Evidently the JVAs themselves are working because they move with the toggle switches.