Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: BBQ Island Build

1. Back To Top    #1

BBQ Island Build

Hi all - great forum here. I've started a BBQ island build - it's an L-shaped island with the BBQ/smoker on one leg, and bar seating on the other. So far I'm about 75% through the framing (20g metal studs) and will be installing Hardie, concrete countertop, and stone veneer.

I'm about to frame out my grill opening based on the manufacturer's specs for the cutout. Here's my question: Is the weight of the grill supposed to be supported by the countertop, or by the framing beneath the grill? Seems to me that it would be very difficult to get the framing set up to support the weight of the grill without knowing your countertop thickness first.

Hope this question make sense - thanks in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: BBQ Island Build

Are you installing a slide in grill? If so the grill has "lips" which will sit on top of the counter. So the grill is supported by the counter which is supported by the frame. This is how mine was built.
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the response. Yes, it's a slide in grill - I wasn't sure if the "lip" on the edge of the grill could support the weight of the entire assembly. But I did a test fit over the weekend and everything worked out just fine. Again, I appreciate the input!

4. Back To Top    #4

pics???

5. Back To Top    #5

I'll try and post some pics soon. I have the framing all done and I'm about 75% through the Hardie Backer.

My next question is pretty basic: Generally, does it make more sense to install the concrete countertop first, and then add stone veneer? Or vice versa? Not sure it even matters....