White spots in pool plaster and spots in spa plaster?

Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
We bought the home in April and these spots in both the pool (on the sitting ledge of shallow side) and the spa (one side of the sitting area) have always been there. Can anybody tell me what is the cause of these spots?

1) The white spots in the pool appear to be right in the top layer of the plaster, but actually IN the plaster as opposed to on top of the surface of the plaster. The actual plaster surface isn't messed up though, it's still smooth, just with white spots.

2) The spa spots are a little different. These spots actually have made a few degraded surface holes in the plaster (only about 1/16" into the surface).

When we moved in, I immediately ordered a kit and began gaining as much knowledge (from this site) as I could to maintain the pool myself. My calcium hardness was low, I think it was a little over 100, maybe 150 at the most. Since then I've bumped it up and keep it in the 300-350 range.

Do you guys have any idea what these spots are from? Do you think it has anything to do with the low calcium levels (the previous owners always paid a pool guy to maintain, so they were probably getting screwed and he wasn't doing that good of a job)? Could it be that the white spots in the pool plaster were caused by something else as opposed to the spots the degraded in the spa plaster? Can any of this be fixed or remedied? It doesn't really bother me too much because it's minimal, but just thought I'd ask you guys opinions. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.