Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: White spots in pool plaster and spots in spa plaster?

1. Back To Top    #1

White spots in pool plaster and spots in spa plaster?

We bought the home in April and these spots in both the pool (on the sitting ledge of shallow side) and the spa (one side of the sitting area) have always been there. Can anybody tell me what is the cause of these spots?

1) The white spots in the pool appear to be right in the top layer of the plaster, but actually IN the plaster as opposed to on top of the surface of the plaster. The actual plaster surface isn't messed up though, it's still smooth, just with white spots.

2) The spa spots are a little different. These spots actually have made a few degraded surface holes in the plaster (only about 1/16" into the surface).

When we moved in, I immediately ordered a kit and began gaining as much knowledge (from this site) as I could to maintain the pool myself. My calcium hardness was low, I think it was a little over 100, maybe 150 at the most. Since then I've bumped it up and keep it in the 300-350 range.

Do you guys have any idea what these spots are from? Do you think it has anything to do with the low calcium levels (the previous owners always paid a pool guy to maintain, so they were probably getting screwed and he wasn't doing that good of a job)? Could it be that the white spots in the pool plaster were caused by something else as opposed to the spots the degraded in the spa plaster? Can any of this be fixed or remedied? It doesn't really bother me too much because it's minimal, but just thought I'd ask you guys opinions. Thanks!
    15k Gallon In Ground Saltwater Gunite Pool and Spa w/ Overflow
    Dolphin Nautilus Plus Pool Cleaner
    Main Filter Pump - 1.5HP Pentair Whisperflo connected to Triton II Sand Filter
    Spa Pump - 2HP Pentair Whisperflo w/ 2HP Polaris Spa Air Blower
    Resilience PSC3 SWCG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: White spots in pool plaster and spots in spa plaster?

Anybody have any ideas?
    Resilience PSC3 SWCG

3. Back To Top    #3

Central Md. 37 X 21 24K IG Custom Gunite with Anvil Quartz finish. Raised Spa.
    Sta-Rite Natural Gas Heater. Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Sta-Rite 450 sq ft. Cartridge Filter.
    Pentair 1.5 Hp Variable Speed Pump. TF100. Dolphin Z-5. First swim 5/26/16

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Rsmith View Post
    Great read, but the ones in the spa aren't nodules/bump. They are actually holes were the plaster looks degraded.
    Resilience PSC3 SWCG

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

In the Industry

OnBalance
    , These group of people have studied pool plaster like no one else

6. Back To Top    #6

That sounds like etching. With low CH and very negative CSI the plaster will dissolve calcium into the water. More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7