Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Anybody ever heard of using vinegar to clean out salt cell?

1. Back To Top    #1

Anybody ever heard of using vinegar to clean out salt cell?

I called the Resilience rep (my current salt cell) and they did recommend the usual MA and water mixture, but he said that they also recommend vinegar because its "less harsh" on the cell. It does make since, but have any of you used it before or currently use it when cleaning your cell?
    15k Gallon In Ground Saltwater Gunite Pool and Spa w/ Overflow
    Dolphin Nautilus Plus Pool Cleaner
    Main Filter Pump - 1.5HP Pentair Whisperflo connected to Triton II Sand Filter
    Spa Pump - 2HP Pentair Whisperflo w/ 2HP Polaris Spa Air Blower
    Resilience PSC3 SWCG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Anybody ever heard of using vinegar to clean out salt cell?

Yes, Intex recommends vinegar for their SWGs.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm doing that with mine.

I use white vinegar. I used a threaded end part and siliconed a piece of plastic to it to seal it, then put a gasket in there so it wouldn't leak when I screwed it on the SWG.

I've heard MA will damage the cell and vinegar won't so that's what I use.
    SWG: CircuPool (May 2014) SI30+Plus; 3000ppm seems ideal;
    My Ideal Specs:
    FC 5; PH 7.4-7.6; TA 90; CH 350; CYA 75; = SI ~ 0.19
    14,000 gal, in ground, plaster, Cartridge filter, Borates
    TAYLOR K - 2006

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Interesting idea. How long do you keep the vinegar in there?
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

5. Back To Top    #5

Anybody ever heard of using vinegar to clean out salt cell?

It can be used. It will take a lot longer though, at least 2 hours or so. Think about a coffee pot, most manufacturers suggest running a hot water cycle and then adding vinegar in to clean and letting it sit for at least 2 hours. Acetic acid is a much weaker acid than MA and the calcium acetate salt is much less soluble than calcium chloride.

And, to be clear, ALL acids will damage the cell plate coatings.

My suggestion would be to use the weakest concentration possible and to only clean plates that have VISIBLE scale on them. I pull my cell once per year and I have never acid cleaned it because it has never had scale on it (even with my CH nearing 1000ppm). So I have never exposed it to acid cleaning.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

6. Back To Top    #6

I clean my SWG every two or three weeks. My well water tends to build a lot of scale, even on my appliances. I use vinegar, 5%. I disconnect the SWG from the pool, dump the water, then fill with vinegar. I cap it and let it sit in sun for 2-4 hours. Afterwards, I take it apart and rinse it thoroughly. To clear the loosened scale between the plates, I carefully use a pipe cleaner. Hope this helps.��
    AG, Intex 18' x48" Easy Set pool( =/- 5455 gal)
    Intex SF80110 sand filter & SWG ECO 7110, Hayward AquaCritter
    Well water, location is north Texas, usually up from late May to Oct.
    Taylor TF-100 test kit, TDS Digital Salinity meter and Taylor salt kit

7. Back To Top    #7

It is far better for your pool and your SWG to manage your water chemistry to avoid scale. Our water has a very high tendency to scale too. Keep your CSI between -0.3 and 0 to avoid scale. I have not needed to clean my SWG in 5 years even though my coffee pot needs it regularly. More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

I had an intex SWG for 4 years and I used vinegar to clean the cell about once a week. In Midland, Tx we have very hard water and it would scale up once a week without fail. Vinegar did the trick every time. This was before I knew about TFP.
    18' Round Above Ground Pool
    7600 gal. Capacity
    19" sand filter w 1 hp pump.
    TF 100 test kit.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    It is far better for your pool and your SWG to manage your water chemistry to avoid scale. Our water has a very high tendency to scale too. Keep your CSI between -0.3 and 0 to avoid scale. I have not needed to clean my SWG in 5 years even though my coffee pot needs it regularly. More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling
    My chemistry is where it should be, however, I still get build up on one side of my SWG. I honestly don't know if it is 'scale'. It is white and hard and the vinegar takes care of it.

AG, Intex 18' x48" Easy Set pool( =/- 5455 gal)
    Intex SF80110 sand filter & SWG ECO 7110, Hayward AquaCritter
    Well water, location is north Texas, usually up from late May to Oct.
    Taylor TF-100 test kit, TDS Digital Salinity meter and Taylor salt kit