hello from south Louisiana

Aug 24, 2016
South Louisiana
hi I am Greg, I just bought a house with an inground gunite freeform pool. it isn't very big but, we enjoy it.

I am having a problem, we are seeing a bit of sand in our robot's basket after cleaning. In my research I've learned that this could mean that I have a cracked lateral (or two, or three.....). That part isn't really the problem, as laterals can be changed. Unless.................. the filter is a weldor pureflo sm60. I can't seem to find anyone selling parts for this filter. I know that Heldor is no longer in business. I am told that the hayward 210 is similar but no-one has confirmed that their parts will fit. I am also concerned with finding other broken parts, while fixing the lateral problem.

my options are;
A) try to find heldor OEM laterals and change them. hoping that I don't find any other problems.
B) Try to find hayward parts that may crossover.
C) replace the filter with a complete new filter.

what are your opinions?

Hi Greg and welcome to TFP! :wave: While searching on-line works wonders for most of us, sometimes we hit a brick wall. I would also suggest contacting Inyopools.com. They have an extensive library and may be able to cross-reference some items for you to help. Tell them TFP sent you. :)

Welcome to TFP!

Congrats on the new pool! I get some sand in my pool and I don't even have a sand filter. Some comes from the waterfall and some comes from the gap between the coping and deck under the the skimmer area, especially if ants get in there. I use Home Defense to prevent that. Also, sometimes folks confuse dead algae with sand on the bottom of the pool. Grab some and see if it is gritty or squishy.

I haven't measured the sand to determine the volume but the first time that we put our robot (polaris 825, aka George) in his basket was about 3/4 full of sand I would estimate about one quart. after the initial cleaning we get about a cup or so, running george every other day.

and it is gritty, like the stuff that you get in your bologna sandwich at the beach.

Yep, those are your choices. Open it up figure out what all is wrong, order some parts and fix it or get a new one. INYO Pools can usually track down parts for older equipment.