Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Safety Cover aaaaaaaaaand a winter cover?

1. Back To Top    #1

Bartlett, IL

Safety Cover aaaaaaaaaand a winter cover?

I live in the Chicago area so it's cold around here. I already own a safety cover and was wondering if it would benefit me to put a winter cover on top of the safety cover. Double cover! My thought would be to minimize the light coming into the pool to reduce algae since I have a long season of no pool use.

Has anyone used this setup? Any issues?

The winter cover is soo much cheaper than buying a new safety cover in case your wondering why I just don't do that.

2. Back To Top    #2

Landale, PA

Re: Safety Cover aaaaaaaaaand a winter cover?

Is your safety cover solid or mesh?
    To be built Spring 2016. 750 sq foot gunite free form. Raised spa with spillover and dedicated pump, 16 foot fiberglass slide built into hill with bolder steps, approx 1,000 sq foot stamped concrete deck, Pentair VS+SVRS pump, Sta-Rite 400,000 btu gas heater, Sta-Rite System 3 cartridge filter, Pentair Intellichlor IC60 SWG, Pentair Intellichem, Pentair Easytouch, Rapids 4WD pool cleaner, 2 LED Intellibrite lights.

3. Back To Top    #3

GTA, Toronto, Ontario

Is it normal to open to a green pool? I'm in Ontario and, while only having the pool 4 seasons, it's always been crystal clear when I open. We close around mid October and open mid may. My neighbor one year opened to green water but they waited much longer, first week of June to open. He has a safety cover, I have a winter cover. To be honest, I use a company to close the pool, so I don't know what they put in, if anything.

I know the above does answer the op, but what I'm getting at is, isn't it all based on water Temps at close and open? What too cold inhibits algae, ni?

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk
    77000L (20500 gallon) vinyl in-ground chlorine double roman pool, 35'x17', Hayward SP3200VSP, Jandy Lite2 LJ400N heater, Hayward S244TC filter, *deleted* Hayward chlorinator, Taylor CK1004FAS+CYA

4. Back To Top    #4

Ottawa Ontario

It's about sunlight too. The less that the pool is exposed to the less algae will develop. I've seen posts around here about using a tight weave mesh safety cover to get the best of both worlds.