Algae in pool vacuum?

I recently (in June) purchased a Dophin robotic pool cleaner (I LOVE IT). After a hard rain my pool instantly turned green. The next day I added chlorine but not at slam levels, and put my Dolphin in to scrub the pool. I have since done a slam but my question is, do I need to treat the Dolphin filters and housing with a bleach solution before re-entering it into the pool? The instructions warn against running the vacuum in any higher than a 3ppm chlorine level or else I would have put it into the pool during the slam.

Any suggestions?

PS the filters of the Dolphin were covered in green when I removed it, but I only sprayed it of as usual

Thanks!

The only reason they say that, is because they can't endorse, condone, or infer that someone use a higher level of FC in their pool. An amount higher than allowed by typical government or industry guidelines that don't recognize the FC/Cya relationship. Which is usually 3-4 PPM FC, but I can tell you from plenty of experience that far higher levels will not harm your bot. I'm in my third season with my M5 and its rarely run with anything lower than 5 FC, and usually with levels a good bit higher. Our suggested SLAM levels with the proper FC/Cya ratios that we suggest will not harm it or the filters. If it were me, I'd give the bot a good rinse, and soak the filters in a 5 gallon busket of water with a little splash of fresh bleach mixed in for a few hours, and this should take care of any Algae that might be growing on them. Dont over do it with the bleach, as too strong a solution might break down or be a little hard on the fine filters. Even a few cap fulls of bleach in five gallons is a pretty stout mixture for Algae.

With that taken care of, are you on the right track maintaining the pool with TFP suggested methods and guidelines? And it sounds like you need a full SLAM process carried out on the pool. If not, and you need help with any of that, please let us know so we can help you prevent this in the future. Even a hard rain shouldn't do much to tip the balance of a well maintained pool, so there is something else going on prior to the rain storm.

Thank you very much for your response. You've answered my question about the bot, I was hoping I could soak the filters as you suggested. I have been following the TFP method now for going on 4 years and it has saved our pool! I guess, as you said, I had algae lurking around before that rain. We had been in and out of town with a person only minimally maintaining it.....that's all it takes I guess. I planned on doing a full slam starting this morning.

One more thought.....recently I have been seeing filter sand accumulate at the edges and deep end of the pool, along with the reoccurance of the algae. Could this be the culprit? If so do you have a suggestion of what's going on with the filter?

Thanks again.

Not the culprit, but sand staying in one place isn't good, and if its filter sand, something is wrong with the filter. Perhaps a bad seal on a lateral...or maybe a cracked or broken one. It also indicates you need more brushing if its accumulating and staying on one place for very long.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.