Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: FC confusion

1. Back To Top    #1

FC confusion

I have the Taylor k-2006 test kit and I am confused as to what the results are actually telling me. When I measure the FC, I understand that does not include any CC that is currently bound to any bacteria, algae, etc.. I am confused when the CYA comes into play. When chlorine is bound to the CYA and is not an effective disinfectant, does it show as FC or CC?
    Fiberglass in-ground Viking pool, 22,000 gallons, 1.5 HP Jandy pump, Jandy 200 cartridge filter, Jandy jxi260 heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: FC confusion

CC are essentially a biproduct of the chlorine oxidizing the bad things. It isn't "bound" to the bacteria.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

3. Back To Top    #3

Then chlorine that is not disinfecting due to CYA, will be included with the test for FC?
    Fiberglass in-ground Viking pool, 22,000 gallons, 1.5 HP Jandy pump, Jandy 200 cartridge filter, Jandy jxi260 heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

CC is like charred & ash wood in a campfire - FC is a clean fresh log. ( it all came from a tree but the clean fresh long will keep you toasty)

5. Back To Top    #5

Here you go, read this, it will help clear things up. ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Pooldv's link is perfect. Please read that.

Simply put, testing shows the "CYA-bound" chlorine as FC, not CC.