SLAM theory question

Aug 11, 2016
Cypress, TX
Would doing the slam when water is cooler take a shorter time than if it was over 85.

I.e. The environment for growing things is more suitable at warmer temps thereby taking longer.

Just wondering aloud.

Anyone done it during both scenarios??

--------------

Don't ever hesitate to try something new. Remember amateurs built the ARK and professionals built the TITANIC.

YOu could NEVER test it because there are too many variables. BY far, the amount of contaminants determines the length of a SLAM. Secondly, performing it correctly (which many do not) is the next greatest factor.

Even if it could be determined (affect of temp) that info has no practical application....you SLAM when you need to SLAM.

To be fair, the OP did present it as a theory question. Could be an interesting topic to discuss even if there's no practical application. Maybe it should be over in the chem 201 section.

Yep total theory.

Down here in Houston there are far more creepy crawlers in warmer water due to bacteria.

Even eating oysters. Only in months with an R. Coincides with water temp. Cooler water less bad stuff.

--------------

Don't ever hesitate to try something new. Remember amateurs built the ARK and professionals built the TITANIC.

I think Surf_ox's question is

1) interesting

2) answerable -
Although it probably is overly complicated to look at all the factors in any random backyard pool, the question certainly seems answerable given adequate knowledge in chemistry and biology. Also, experiments could be designed to eliminate multitudes of confusing factors, so that you can measure the variable of interest. That's how the design of experimental protocols works. It's not hard to imagine two identical containers, with comparable algae populations, and then imagine adding the same dose of chlorine to each. Keep one 10 degrees colder than the other, and see what happens to the algae.

3) potentially useful in real life -
If one actually knew (from basic science or from experiment) that algae is eliminated by chlorine more quickly at lower temperature, some pool owners would be able to lower their pool temperature to speed the SLAM process. For example, a solar collector loop normally run to heat the pool could be run during the night to cool the pool instead. If that could speed up a stubborn SLAM, people would do it.

There isn't a lot of data to go on, but chlorine oxidation reaction, in general, will double with temperature every 13 degrees F. So, in cold water, you'd expect the algae reproduction rates to be lower (good thing for the initial part of the SLAM) but the chlorine oxidation reaction to decrease in rate (bad for the latter phases of a SLAM). In hotter water, you'd get higher chlorine oxidation rates (good for a SLAM) but you would be battling higher chlorine loss rates due to intrinsic chlorine-to-chloride loss rates increasing (bad for a SLAM).

I don't think the effects of temperature would be all that noticeable at normal pool temperatures.

As someone said there are a lot of factors here. For me, it works much better in the winter, because of the way my trees are. The sun hardly hits my pool in the winter saving me a lot of chlorine. Then again, now that I finally got my CYA down to reasonable levels, I don't need to SLAM anyway.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.