Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SLAM theory question

1. Back To Top    #1

SLAM theory question

Would doing the slam when water is cooler take a shorter time than if it was over 85.

I.e. The environment for growing things is more suitable at warmer temps thereby taking longer.

Just wondering aloud.

Anyone done it during both scenarios??

--------------

Don't ever hesitate to try something new. Remember amateurs built the ARK and professionals built the TITANIC.
    13K; IG Pebble sheen [4,5,4] with sun deck; 2hp pentair cleaning the water through a Clean and Clear Plus; 2hp pentair flowing the natural rock waterfall and 3/4 hp powering the 2011 Pentair legend (AKA "THE DUDE")

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SLAM theory question

How is the efficacy of chlorine changed with temperature? I believe chlorine is more effective at higher temperatures.

Might be a wash.
    John - 16,000 gallon | in ground | pebble | Triton II sand filter | TF100 | speedstir | Hayward Phoenix 2x

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

YOu could NEVER test it because there are too many variables. BY far, the amount of contaminants determines the length of a SLAM. Secondly, performing it correctly (which many do not) is the next greatest factor.

Even if it could be determined (affect of temp) that info has no practical application....you SLAM when you need to SLAM.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I tend to agree with Dave you SLAM when you need to, so unless you have a pool cooler handy, or slam needed in winter when you can turn off the heater it is a fairly moot point.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

To be fair, the OP did present it as a theory question. Could be an interesting topic to discuss even if there's no practical application. Maybe it should be over in the chem 201 section.
    John - 16,000 gallon | in ground | pebble | Triton II sand filter | TF100 | speedstir | Hayward Phoenix 2x

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Cinic View Post
    To be fair, the OP did present it as a theory question. Could be an interesting topic to discuss even if there's no practical application. Maybe it should be over in the chem 201 section.
    Yep total theory.

Down here in Houston there are far more creepy crawlers in warmer water due to bacteria.

Even eating oysters. Only in months with an R. Coincides with water temp. Cooler water less bad stuff.

--------------

Don't ever hesitate to try something new. Remember amateurs built the ARK and professionals built the TITANIC.
    13K; IG Pebble sheen [4,5,4] with sun deck; 2hp pentair cleaning the water through a Clean and Clear Plus; 2hp pentair flowing the natural rock waterfall and 3/4 hp powering the 2011 Pentair legend (AKA "THE DUDE")

7. Back To Top    #7

I think Surf_ox's question is

1) interesting

2) answerable -
    Although it probably is overly complicated to look at all the factors in any random backyard pool, the question certainly seems answerable given adequate knowledge in chemistry and biology. Also, experiments could be designed to eliminate multitudes of confusing factors, so that you can measure the variable of interest. That's how the design of experimental protocols works. It's not hard to imagine two identical containers, with comparable algae populations, and then imagine adding the same dose of chlorine to each. Keep one 10 degrees colder than the other, and see what happens to the algae.

3) potentially useful in real life -
    If one actually knew (from basic science or from experiment) that algae is eliminated by chlorine more quickly at lower temperature, some pool owners would be able to lower their pool temperature to speed the SLAM process. For example, a solar collector loop normally run to heat the pool could be run during the night to cool the pool instead. If that could speed up a stubborn SLAM, people would do it.
    18' x 48" ring top pool (Summer Escapes); 5500 gallons; set up June - October, stored during winter; Intex 2500 gph pump (B size cartridge filter) Hayward 21" sand filter + 1.5 hp single speed Powerflo Matrix pump (upgrade October 2016) *** K-2006 test kit, refills from tftestkits

8. Back To Top    #8

There isn't a lot of data to go on, but chlorine oxidation reaction, in general, will double with temperature every 13 degrees F. So, in cold water, you'd expect the algae reproduction rates to be lower (good thing for the initial part of the SLAM) but the chlorine oxidation reaction to decrease in rate (bad for the latter phases of a SLAM). In hotter water, you'd get higher chlorine oxidation rates (good for a SLAM) but you would be battling higher chlorine loss rates due to intrinsic chlorine-to-chloride loss rates increasing (bad for a SLAM).

I don't think the effects of temperature would be all that noticeable at normal pool temperatures.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

9. Back To Top    #9

As someone said there are a lot of factors here. For me, it works much better in the winter, because of the way my trees are. The sun hardly hits my pool in the winter saving me a lot of chlorine. Then again, now that I finally got my CYA down to reasonable levels, I don't need to SLAM anyway.
    20,000 gal in-ground plaster pool with sand filter. Replastered recently. Mostly adding bleach and acid. CYA was high when I took over.