Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Stenner install , couple questions

1. Back To Top    #1

New Stenner install , couple questions

Hi all

I am installing a new Stenner 45mphp2 and 15 gallon poly tank, have a couple questions.

First is location of the chlorine tank, can I place it on the pool equipment pad under a shaded top keeping the sun off the equipment? My research from this great site is sun is the worst enemy of chlorine so it will be shaded, but what about the Florida heat, right now I store my chlorine inside a air-conditioned garage maintaining 80 degrees except in winter, I am wondering what you all think, I could make room in the garage for the tank and drill through the brick wall and pump from there, a hassle moving shelves and such but could do if you think it is necessary to protect the chlorine from degradation. I purchase fresh chlorine every 3-4 weeks right now, so haven't had any degrading noticed.

Second is the injection point, my plan is to drill and tap the cap for the puck chlorinator that was installed by the pool builder for automatic chlorine feed but not used by me because of the CYA from the tabs. I figured its the easiest place downstream of the pump and filter and may as well get some use out of it.

Appreciate any help and your thoughts, my Stenner should be here from Lockewell pump this week(Thanks for the link), they were priced lower than Amazon and very reasonable shipping.

Keith
    Sun Pools fiberglass Rio, 11,600 gallons, Installed 11/2015
    Hayward 3/4 hp super pump, Hayward 150 cartridge filter
    Taylor K-2006 test kit with speed stir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Stenner install , couple questions

Hi Keith....did you get a UV resistant tank? If so then it's just heat you need to be concerned about. Personally my tank is out in the open in Houston heat and I haven't noted too much degradation (admittedly only the last 6 weeks). My FC increases about what I expect it to, using 8.25% and I put in ~6-8 gallons in at a time every couple of weeks. Putting it inside your a/c garage will help with the heat (and sun if your tank isn't UV resistant) just depends on whether you really want the hassles you described, or if you want to manage it another way, such as using a lower concentration (less susceptible to degradation) or just refilling more often during the hot months.

Regarding the injection point, you can do as you describe but the risk is somebody may accidently try to put tabs in there (apparently dangerous to mix solid & liquid forms of chlorine). Nowhere else you can drill & tap, or don't want to install a tee? In my case I unscrewed the chlorinator tower and made an adapter that my injection fitting screws into. Non-destructive and can always reinstall the chlorinator later if required. Not sure what you have so if it allows that.
    Graeme // 15k gal 29x15 geometric IG w/750 gal spa, Wet Edge Northshore Tahoe, travertine coping and decking, Clean & Clear Plus 420 sq ft cartridge filter, Intelliflo VS pump, 1hp water feature pump, Easytouch 8 w/wireless handheld, Racer pool cleaner, 400,000 BTU Max-E-Therm heater, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5G LED lighting, bubblers, pencil jets, TF-100 w/SpeedStir, Borates & Salt. Finished and filled June 2015!

3. Back To Top    #3

My only concern would be the off gassing of the chlorine in the garage and the way it corrodes
    metals. Light switch contacts, garage door openers are a few of the things that it can have a negative effect on.
    Screen enclosed 17K gal 16x30 IG with Diamond Brite finish, elevated 4 jet spa with spill over, Twin dolphin fountain, Hayward Ecostar pump[ Pentair intelliflo VS, Filter Sta rite Posi-Flo PTM 100, Aqua Cal heat pump, Tiger Shark QC robotic cleaner.
    Stenner peristaltic pump model 45MPHP10, 15 gal storage tank. TF 100 with Speed Stir.

4. Back To Top    #4

Glo76

I don't know if the tank is UV resistant but i am placing it outside under a cover hoping to protect both the equipment and the chlorine from the sun. Your injection point idea is a good one, I hadn't thought of the problem of liquid and solid issues so I will look at a different injection site and will look at your Tee idea, it's a good one, appreciate it.

Mike

Good point, I don't want any corrosion problems, I have quite a bit of equipment and such that I wouldn't want a rust problem, really appreciate you pointing that out, I honestly had not thought of the gassing problem.

Really appreciate the thoughts and advice, this is the best site with the best people. Keith
    Sun Pools fiberglass Rio, 11,600 gallons, Installed 11/2015
    Hayward 3/4 hp super pump, Hayward 150 cartridge filter
    Taylor K-2006 test kit with speed stir

5. Back To Top    #5

I put my 15 gallon tank inside a garbage can with a lid ( going to find a way to put insulation between barrell and garbage can ). Keeps and direct sunlight off and keeps it cooler than without. I don't know about you but our garages in Houston get pretty hot also. I agree about not putting tank in garage, to corrosive.
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8