Mustard algae

Aug 28, 2016
Fayetteville
Ok so I have a few question.
I have been fighting mustard algae almost all summer! Luckily I found this site and I plan to SLAM. I have read the mustard algae forum and am excited to start.

First question, I have read pool store testing is no good. My pool store doesn't use test strips they use some kind of machine. Is this still not accurate? I hate to buy a test kit this late in the year since we will be closing the pool in a few weeks.

Also, should I be vacuuming to waste while while SLAMing ? Or will our sand filter take care of that?

Last thing, our iron level is 0.3 , is this really a big deal? Would it be making my algae worse?

Thanks!!

Welcome to TFP,

Doing your own testing is key and a kit would not be wasted no matter when you purchase it. Mustard Algae is not common. And especially not all season, not usually anyway. How are you sure its MA? No matter your store method, you need your own results, especially fighting Algae. You'll need to complete a SLAM process and it requires multiple daily tests which isn't practical for a store as a source for test data even if it were perfect. Your Sand filter will do the job unless it is broken in some way, and Iron will not affect the Algae in any way. It could cause other issues for you however...such as staining amd discolored water. Do you see evidence of those things in the pool now?

PS

If I wasn't clear, you CANNOT perform a SLAM without your own kit.

at first I thought it was sand. Everytime I would vacuum it out it would come right back. I started to get frustrated and stopped vacuuming it so much. After a few days part of the pool floor and walls were covered in the color yellow. The pool has been crystal clear besides that.
Thanks for the info, just ordered the test kit.

at first I thought it was sand. Everytime I would vacuum it out it would come right back. I started to get frustrated and stopped vacuuming it so much. After a few days part of the pool floor and walls were covered in the color yellow. The pool has been crystal clear besides that.
Thanks for the info, just ordered the test kit.
Welcome to the forum, nice to have you with us.

The algae is not "coming back", it is continuing to bloom. You are just vacuuming what you can see.

As mentioned, post your test results once you get your test kit and we'll get you on the right path.

How are you chlorinating your pool right now?

Good advice above. Everyone wants to "do something" while waiting on the kit. Add 1 small jug of Clorox each evening (pump running) and that will hold it at bay until your kit gets in. You can also brush the pool floor after chlorinating. That kit will really start the ball rolling and we will all help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.