Pool Equipment Footprint

Van G

Bronze Supporter
Mar 22, 2016
Toronto
Planning continues and trying to decide on where to locate the equipment.

The 2 options close to the house are:

On north wall of house that has 4' width and 25' long. This would be open air or possibly with a simple roof over.

The other is in or on the back of a to be built 8 x 12 shed. Concrete slab, not heated.

Question is how much sqft does a well plumbed equipment package need? We would have SWG and gas heater.

Van G

Bigger is better, too many pool builder think smaller is better, but they never stick around and see the mess they make the first time something breaks (it is much like a compact car with a large engine shoehorned in under the hood) and the only way to replace stuff is to cut out and replace half the plumbing. Exact size depends on pool features, automation, etc. but something around 3x8 ft should be plenty. My choice would be the shed, it gets the noisy equipment away from the house, contains some of the noise and helps protect the equipment from the elements, however if inside a shed leave enough access room to service the equipment.

If the equipment is still noisey even when using new VS pumps then it will have to be the shed.

Or could I build a small enclosure on the back of the shed and insulate it? Say 3' x 8' x 4' tall and have the top fold up and front panel removable?

Van G

I cant comment on actual sqft needed, sorry. Wherever you decide to put it, be sure it is capable of being maintained easily. Don't smash everything together to save a foot. You'll thank yourself later. Don't for get sufficient valves & unions. Be sure it can handle water spillage from servicing filters, pumps, leaky equipment, etc. If you put it inside a yet to be built shed with slab, put a drain in the floor near the equipment. A lot of water comes out of my element filter when I pull the cap off! Good luck.

- Dave -

Follow up question: if I'm putting equipment in a to-be-built 8x12 shed, how best to handle the plumbing run? Shed will be a concrete pad so do I run my plumbing and then pour the slab?

Do I want plumbing encased in the slab or do I box them so they are free?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are going to pour a slab, then would would suggest running plumbing first then pour the concrete around the pipes. If you are not set on a poured slab, consider putting decking pavers with sand inside the shed with holes cut out for the plumbing. This way is an underground plumbing issues comes up later under the shed you don't need a jack hammer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't have the electronic file anymore but here is the plan. It was structurally engineered, permitted and inspected as if it was a new house. The permit cost me $1500 and almost a month of fighting with the building Dept. Had I known they would have put up that big of a fight I would have built an actual pool house with a bar, bathroom, etc. I think the permit cost me more money than the structure did.

If the area is easily accessible, the pad doesn't need to be any larger than the equipment- but you will need elbow room around it. Draw both choices out on graph paper and use cutouts to move the equipment around. It'll be a good way to "dry fit" your layout anyway, and it'll let you look ahead at how you're going to fit yourself in there with the equipment.

Based on feedback I've read on TFP, I asked my builder to build my pad a little larger than normal. Mine is 3x10. It just allows them to add a little more pipe between components and allows for extra room for future upgrades. My builder did it at no extra cost to me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.