Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Equipment Footprint

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Equipment Footprint

Planning continues and trying to decide on where to locate the equipment.

The 2 options close to the house are:

On north wall of house that has 4' width and 25' long. This would be open air or possibly with a simple roof over.

The other is in or on the back of a to be built 8 x 12 shed. Concrete slab, not heated.

Question is how much sqft does a well plumbed equipment package need? We would have SWG and gas heater.

Van G

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Equipment Footprint

Bigger is better, too many pool builder think smaller is better, but they never stick around and see the mess they make the first time something breaks (it is much like a compact car with a large engine shoehorned in under the hood) and the only way to replace stuff is to cut out and replace half the plumbing. Exact size depends on pool features, automation, etc. but something around 3x8 ft should be plenty. My choice would be the shed, it gets the noisy equipment away from the house, contains some of the noise and helps protect the equipment from the elements, however if inside a shed leave enough access room to service the equipment.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Mine is 4x8 up against the house. The 4 foot just accommodates the heat pump. Sand filter, pump, feeder, and plumbing take up the rest. Plenty of room for service.
    16' x 34' 16,000 gallon | IG Vinyl | Pentair Tagelus sand filter | Jandy 2hp epump | AquaPro PRO1300 heat pump | Coverstar auto cover | Taylor K-2006 | built August, 2016.

4. Back To Top    #4

If the equipment is still noisey even when using new VS pumps then it will have to be the shed.

Or could I build a small enclosure on the back of the shed and insulate it? Say 3' x 8' x 4' tall and have the top fold up and front panel removable?

Van G

5. Back To Top    #5

I cant comment on actual sqft needed, sorry. Wherever you decide to put it, be sure it is capable of being maintained easily. Don't smash everything together to save a foot. You'll thank yourself later. Don't for get sufficient valves & unions. Be sure it can handle water spillage from servicing filters, pumps, leaky equipment, etc. If you put it inside a yet to be built shed with slab, put a drain in the floor near the equipment. A lot of water comes out of my element filter when I pull the cap off! Good luck.

- Dave -
    Aqua Leader Elegance AGP 15'x30'x 54", 12k gallons, vinyl J-hook liner ... Hayward/SwimPro Voyager pump SW159412STL, 2hp, 2spd, Hayward/Voyager 175sf element filter SW175MDDVPAKS, Installed August 2016 ... Liquid Chlorine... ...TF-100....CYA/Chlorine Chart...Recommended Levels... Basic Care Schedule...Extended-Test-Kit-Directions

6. Back To Top    #6

My enclosure is 36 SF and it is easy to work in to replace stuff, and I have replaced plenty of stuff over the last 17 years.
    36' x 18' 20k in ground, Finest Finish grey plaster, Pentair Tagelus 100D sand filter, Hayward Northstar 2hp pump, Jandy LRZ125EN heater, spill over spa, iaqualink controlled automation, Stenner chlorination, natural rock and flagstone coping, 1" glass mosaic waterline tile, SR Smith Vortex slide.

7. Back To Top    #7

Follow up question: if I'm putting equipment in a to-be-built 8x12 shed, how best to handle the plumbing run? Shed will be a concrete pad so do I run my plumbing and then pour the slab?

Do I want plumbing encased in the slab or do I box them so they are free?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Back To Top    #8

If you are going to pour a slab, then would would suggest running plumbing first then pour the concrete around the pipes. If you are not set on a poured slab, consider putting decking pavers with sand inside the shed with holes cut out for the plumbing. This way is an underground plumbing issues comes up later under the shed you don't need a jack hammer.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Sounds like what I did with my equipment. I recommend pavers too and leave some room around the pipes as well.

-Brian-
    33K In ground Pool/Spa, IntelliFlo, IntelliChlor SWG, Easytouch, ScreenLogic, MasterTemp 400, Quad 100, IntelliPH, MiniPebble, Dolphin Z5, POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page
    @daviscustomconstruction

10. Back To Top    #10

Pavers are a good idea but what is your shed framing sitting on?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

A concrete foundation stem wall. It was built exactly like a house and permited as a secondary structure
    -Brian-
    33K In ground Pool/Spa, IntelliFlo, IntelliChlor SWG, Easytouch, ScreenLogic, MasterTemp 400, Quad 100, IntelliPH, MiniPebble, Dolphin Z5, POOL BUILD
    @daviscustomconstruction

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

I don't have the electronic file anymore but here is the plan. It was structurally engineered, permitted and inspected as if it was a new house. The permit cost me $1500 and almost a month of fighting with the building Dept. Had I known they would have put up that big of a fight I would have built an actual pool house with a bar, bathroom, etc. I think the permit cost me more money than the structure did.

-Brian-
    @daviscustomconstruction

13. Back To Top    #13

If the area is easily accessible, the pad doesn't need to be any larger than the equipment- but you will need elbow room around it. Draw both choices out on graph paper and use cutouts to move the equipment around. It'll be a good way to "dry fit" your layout anyway, and it'll let you look ahead at how you're going to fit yourself in there with the equipment.
    "...chemistry is not an exact science" -Mario Andrada, Rio 2016 Olympics spokesman
    21' x 52" Radiant Metric Round ~10K gal AGP with Hayward S180t pump/sand filter.
    Caldera (Watkins) Martinique 340 gallon installed in basement, Bromine and ozone.
    Taylor K-2006 test kit.

14. Back To Top    #14

How deep is the trench the plumbing runs in?

Could run plumbing and then do a monolithic slab with 16" footing. Form around the pipes

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

24" deep.

Your description above is exactly what I did.
    -Brian-
    @daviscustomconstruction

16. Back To Top    #16

Perfect. I have a plan for this piece.

17. Back To Top    #17

Based on feedback I've read on TFP, I asked my builder to build my pad a little larger than normal. Mine is 3x10. It just allows them to add a little more pipe between components and allows for extra room for future upgrades. My builder did it at no extra cost to me.
    18'x24' Rectangle (3' 6" to 5' 5") - 11K gal. Saltwater w/ Blue Granit Pebblesheen
    Pentair equipment (IntelliFlo 3050 VS/SVRS Pump, 60 sq. ft. DE filter, Intellichlor Salt system, MasterTemp 400000 BTU heater
    Easy Touch 4 w/ Screen Logic automation, 3 GlowBrite LED Pool Lights) My build log