Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: O/B in East Texas

1. Back To Top    #1

O/B in East Texas

Hey guys I am close to beginning my owner build here in East Texas and was curious about equipment size and preference. We are basically going to have a saltwater rectangle pool with a small Baja stuck on the side of it. The pool will be 19x38 and the Baja approx. 7x10. So I total sq feet is around 800. I think we are going to go with 3.5 shallow to 7.5 deep with a diving rock? So a couple of questions I have are number of lights and suggestions on certain ones. Pump and Filter size and certain models to stay away from. Also I am looking for any subs number in the Dallas or Tyler area that any of you would recommend. I am about an hour from both cities.

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: O/B in East Texas

What kind of filter and how automated do you wanna get will help answer those questions.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Actually woody I'm still open on filters and as for automation I am going simple as I can. Nothing fancy just a usable pool. It is mainly for My kids which are 10 and 6.

4. Back To Top    #4

bump

5. Back To Top    #5

Pool School - Maintenance and Cleaning of Pool Filters

Pretty good synopsis of filters for ya'.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

There really are no wrong pool filters, just inappropriate ones for some people (sand filters being used by people that have no place to discharge backwash water, etc), and ones that are undersized for a given pool. It is much the same with pumps, in general we tell everyone to get either a 2 speed or a variable speed pump, singe speed pumps are cheapest by are electrical hogs. Variable speed pumps are the most expensive, but are also the most complicated, but save a bit more electricity than 2 speed pumps, which sort of fall in the middle.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

How about horsepower for a pump? My pool will have no spa and be around 30k gallons. Also what size filter?

8. Back To Top    #8

If you are going with a 2 speed pump I would say 1 to 1.5 HP is plenty, some people will say less, if variable speed you may want to consider one of the smaller Hayward VS pumps like the MaxFloVS (note there are 2 versions of this pump, one is all self contained, the other more expensive one has relay interfaces so it can be controlled by outside devices (heaters, SWG's etc). As to filters, bigger is better within certain sane parameters.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    If you are going with a 2 speed pump I would say 1 to 1.5 HP is plenty, some people will say less, if variable speed you may want to consider one of the smaller Hayward VS pumps like the MaxFloVS (note there are 2 versions of this pump, one is all self contained, the other more expensive one has relay interfaces so it can be controlled by outside devices (heaters, SWG's etc). As to filters, bigger is better within certain sane parameters.
    Okay thanks for the help. I see some people on here go with a 3hp pump. Is that because they have a spa too? Also your pool is about the same size as I am planning, what kind and how many lights do you suggest?